Question Vehicles that seat 8?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thanks, Skitle. I loved my Safari because I could fit pretty much ANY 3 across in it, in both rows. I have enough harnessed kids that the center lap belts aren't a problem, although I did run into a problem with tethers, but it wasn't immediate. And yes, with the benches out, it was an excellent cargo hauler. That thing moved me & friends more times than I can count.

OTOH, I'm not crazy about the frontal offset. If it had crashed how it should have, my left leg/knee would have been crushed. Luckily the floor under me buckled instead.

All of that said, I think if for some reason I can't work this out with the Pilot, and it ends up Safari vs Venture, I think the Safari will win. Hopefully I can make it happen with a Pilot, since it seems to be an all-over safer choice.

Thanks for your input. Glad to hear they're workhorses. Mine was approaching 100k and I was getting worried.

ADS

skipspin

Another possibility to consider would be the Saturn Outlook crossover and its GM siblings, the Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, and Buick Enclave, which are available in 8-passenger versions as well as 7-passenger versions. I'm not sure how 3 across friendly they are in the third row, but that would be something you could try out with your carseats during test drives before deciding on a replacement vehicle. :twocents: Since the GM crossovers sticker at approx. $30K and up new, depending on the specific model and options, and were new to the market in the past 1 to 3 model years (the Traverse being the newest version), they might not necessarily be available used for ~$10K. However, Saturn dealerships in particular are probably very willing to negotiate if they have anything used in stock as GM is phasing out the Saturn brand and Saturn dealerships are winding down operations.

My grandparents rented a Traverse and we did put 8 in it to drive around. 5 Adults (no large ones) and three kids in seats. It wouldn't have been ideal for every day for sure, but it's do-able to have three in the back. The only TA in the back is in the center. What I had was a SGGo in the center, RFing Coccoro (Roundabout barely fit, but did) on the driver's outboard, and a person in the passenger outboard. The Parkway fit, but was hard to buckle. I think a narrower backless would work too. The center row is much easier, but you would have to have one booster in a seat to flip down to get to the back, and it's sort of a climb.

So, in short, 8 is possible even with 6 in seats, BUT you are really going to have to play with the seats and may end up buying some new smaller ones depending on what you already have.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just wanted to update/conclude this thread to say first of all -- again -- thanks for everyone's help.

I ended up getting a 2006 Pilot, for just a smidgen above my intended price range. For some odd reason, the Pilots around here are a really good deal right now... I think the dealerships got into a bidding war with each other. I had my pick of several, and got the one with the least mileage ("least" being 87k, ha ha.)

The second row is awesome, I've gotten a RF MR (either side,) RF Radian center, and a booster outboard. Thus far, done Cosco Ambassador and Graco Turbo, lol, but I'm pretty sure I could fit my Nauti there and am hoping I can make it work with a Monterey.

That center spot is like it's made for a Radian. It has a divot at the seat bight, which I believe is intended for the buckles to sit in when the seat folds. It's maybe two inches deep (front to back deep,) half an inch deep in terms of into the seat depth, and an inch or two wider than the RF boot. The boot pops right down in there and gives a great install, although it requires two twists of each end of the buckle stalk.

If I slide the second row forward one click, I can *almost* get a RF Scenera back there... it fits, but I'm not sure if it's a legal install, lol, and it's very upright. I'm going to try a Coccoro. Or else put a FF seat back there, but it would be good if the Coccoro works.

I'm still working on my 3rd row setup, and finalizing what I have in there now.

The nice thing is that I've been able to buy seats for this vehicle specifically, rather than trying to wedge in my pre-existing seats. So I can "trade out" my TF for a Coccoro, for example, lol. (I was not a fan of the TF, anyways.) And if what I buy doesn't work, I can sell them (they'll all be "nearly-new") and keep working on it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC