Using seats WAY past limits

Wife&MomX3

My friend has a very heavy younger 2 yo, about 42lbs. Their carseat only goes to 40lbs, so she is going to use all the money they get for Christmas to get him a HWH seat. Great, but until then she has turned him back RF. She saw a crash test video and she said it was haunting, so she cant bear him to not be RF. I guess she thinks that since he's over the weight limit for both RF and FF, that he may as well be RF, since it's normally safer. I told her I will lend her one of our HWH seats til Christmas, so he can be properly restrained. Wut can I tell or show her to make her realize that RF isnt safer if the child is 7lbs over the weight limit of the seat? R there any tests done, or stories of accidents showing seat failure when used so far over the limits? TIA!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Could you tell her that extra weight in the seat will cause the seat to have more downward rotation which means he will ramp up in the seat more likely causing his head to be above the shell of the car seat and leaving his exposed to be crushed by the vehicle seat in front of him when it comes back from its forward movement?

(this is early in the morning for my brain so if I have the crash dynamics wrong, someone please correct me!)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Rear-facing a kid that far over the limits is not safe. In a crash, rear-facing seats rotate down and toward the front of the car. The heavier a child is, the greater the risk of excessive downward rotation. That means that the seat could even flip over backwards, squishing the child between the seats. Also, a child that heavy is likely to be rather tall, so if his head is too close to the top of the seat, he could easily ramp up and strike his head on something during a crash. Generally there should be at least an inch of shell over his head.

I don't have any links right now, but hopefully someone will be by with some. Even a typical rear-facing crash test will show the rotation that occurs with children WITHIN the RF weight limits.

In the meantime, no, it's not ok to use a seat over either the RF or FF weight limits, but 2 lbs over the FF weight limit would be preferable, IMO, to 7-9 lbs over the RF weight limit. Ideally, though, she'll take you up on your offer and borrow one of your seats.

Last edited:

Wife&MomX3

He's actually not too tall, he's just freakishly heavy, lol. He's almost exactly a year younger than my dd1, and when he turned 1 and she turned 2, they were the same weight. Now @ 2y3m, he weighs as much as my (tall & skinny) going on 5yr old! He is just SOLID! Ppl try to pick him up and R shocked at how hard he is to lift, lol.
Thanx 4 the info on the downward rotation. I was trying to think of the physics of how the seat could/would fail.

Pixels

Rear-facing a kid that far over the limits is not safe. In a crash, rear-facing seats rotate down and toward the front of the car. The heavier a child is, the greater the risk of excessive downward rotation. That means that the seat could even flip over backwards, squishing the child between the seats. Also, a child that heavy is likely to be rather tall, so if his head is too close to the top of the seat, he could easily ramp up and strike his head on something during a crash. Generally there should be less than an inch of shell over his head.

Generally there should NOT be less than an inch of shell over his head. I know that was a typo, just wanted to make sure it was corrected. :)

Rear facing is safer because the shell supports the back and absorbs most of the crash force, rather than it going into the harness. But when the seat overrotates, the shell isn't there to take the force, because it has rotated away. The child is pushed up into the harness, putting all the force on the tops of the child's shoulders. This concentrates the force in two small areas, rather than having them spread out. Also, it can cause spinal compression.

If the child was in a forward facing seat, the harness would be able to spread the forces out across the hips, pelvis, chest and collar bones without concentrating it too much in one area. Also no spinal compression.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC