using outgrown seat

U

Unregistered

Please help. Our infant seat is expiring soon and my son is close to the limits. My husband says we can't afford new ones. He sees no problem with using an outgrown seat. My baby is 14 months. Our older son is 5 and we have a car seat for him in each car. I'm thinking of just moving seats around, but one car doesn't have LATCH, so we need to buckle it in place

ADS

Kaitsmom

The Cosco APT is $39 at KMart this week and is a much safer option then an expired or outgrown seat.

Which seat does your 5 yr old have?

mdsvc89

An outgrown seat isn't designed to hold the child it is restraining, so in an accident the seat could fall apart, or the child could be injured in another way.

Buckling a seat in place rather than using latch is fine, as long as the seat installs well.

If the seat your 5 year old is riding in is a convertible, and can be used rear facing, your safest bet will be to move the seats back and forth between the cars -- one RF for the little guy, one FF for the big guy.

hth
Michelle

Baylor

Can I suggest you go to a local seat check? With dh. They will help you with seat information and make sure you know how to install a seat with the seat belt correctly.
auto correct hates me

Jessica61624

Installing with a seat belt is just as safe as latch when used correctly. It would be helpful if you could give us more info like the seats you currently have and the weight and heights of the children.

christineka

See if you have any car seat check events near you. A couple weeks from now is cps week and there should be some seat checks. Often they have new seats for free or low cost. Or, try your local safe kids' coalition to see how much their car seats are. Usually they are low cost.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
What seat do you have for your now 5yo? What is the date of manufacture of the seats? What is the 5yo's height and weight?

Many 5yos have outgrown many convertible carseats. Would your husband be open to passing the convertibles down to the baby, and buying boosters for the 5yo? You could get two boosters for $70ish, and you'll need them down the road anyhow.

Last edited:

henrietta

Can I suggest you go to a local seat check? With dh. They will help you with seat information and make sure you know how to install a seat with the seat belt correctly.
auto correct hates me

And some may also have seats to give away when someone comes to a check who needs one. :) And they are happy to help you learn to install it, use it, and take it home! ;)

henrietta

See if you have any car seat check events near you. A couple weeks from now is cps week and there should be some seat checks. Often they have new seats for free or low cost. Or, try your local safe kids' coalition to see how much their car seats are. Usually they are low cost.

Sept. 18-22, I think! ;)

henrietta

BTW-Welcome to C-s.org!!!

As others have said, if you'll share your 5 yr olds stats and what seats he currently has and how he fits in them, we can help you more. If he's using a convertible carseat that can rearface and hasn't expired, you could hand that down and buy him a booster seat. If he's a regular sized 5 yr old and mature enough to learn how to use one, he can use a a booster seat. One w/a highback (such as the Evenflo Big Kid *Sport*, $30 at Walmart) is best at this age, preferred over one w/no back. And a booster seat is super easy to switch b/t cars! So, the baby could use one convertible in each car...and the 5 yr old can use one booster that you switch back and forth for now.

hths

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC