Using outboard latch for Center Rfing seat

shllywlly

Ok...I've done some searching and can't find exactly what I"m looking for. Here is my problem.

I have a 2004 Saturn VUE. I have 3 full sets of latch anchors. I have 3 carseats. I am trying to do an install of all three of them. I currently have my Marathon RFing on the driver outboard for a 6 month old. I have a Radian80 RFing in the center for my 23 month old 23 lb DD. I have a nautilus on the passenger outboard for my 30 lb 3.5 yr old.

I have the MA and Nautilus installed with the seatbelts so that I can have them closer to the door. I have the Radian installed with the latch. The problem is with the radian. Ironically, the base part is too wide and spans past the center latch anchors. I am currently using the center latch on the side with the nautilus and I'm using the outboard latch on the side with the MA. Is this allowed? Remember the MA is not using latch.

Is there another way to get a better fit with these seats? I was supposed to have a tech come and inspect and help today but she didn't show:mad:

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It's okay for the base of the carseat to be wider than the LATCH anchors. You just slip the base either under or over the anchors, whichever works best.

Here's a pic of an install with the foot under the anchor:
IMG_1597.jpg

You can also try this, which will result in a more-upright install, which is fine since it's for an older baby:
IMG_1596.jpg

Another thing to consider, though I don't think this is the case with the Vue, is that the anchors are intentionally "staggered." What does your vehicle manual say?

In either case, you need to use the anchors that are designated for the center position.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Just piggybacking on Defrost's post to comment as a former Vue owner ('03 model, same as the '04) that the lower anchors in the '02-'07 Vue models are not staggered. You would need to use the designated lower anchors closest to the center on either side to do a center lower LATCH installation. I traded our Vue before becoming a Radian owner, but I'm pretty sure other Vue owners here on the forum have done successful LATCH installs of their Radians and posted about it in the successful Radian installation thread.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC