Using carriers as baby holders

MomToJosh

I had a friend come visit who couldn't have a differing parent style than I do. Her poor baby, after driving halfway across the country, stayed in her infant carrier for about an hour after they got to my house. I kept offering to put a blanket down for her or something, but they said she was fine. The sad thing was, she was ok with it. I could tell that that was probably how it usually was. :(

ADS

mtnharmony

very true about some getting behind by being in their seats. Dh's cousin's baby was behind. We watched him off and on (including nights) for about 1 week and the whole family commented on how focused his eyes were, how happy he seemed, etc.

I do know some parents have ligit reasons not to sling. I can only use 2 shoulder carries, and still not a whole lot. Dh also has a broken back, but he too has commented on kids in buckled in carseats for too long... then again he use to think it was ok to ride without seatbelts, even for toddlers :whistle:

I sure hope he is ok! What scares me the most is that I have read that even the slightest "shaking" of the brain can cause permanant damage. Not severe, but it might cause delays, dislexia, or mild problems like that, later on in life. I know my son took tumbles all the time and I have made mistakes but placing a kid in a carseat unbuckled is too unsafe.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Poor baby.. I hope he's okay and doesn't have any long term damage. I had an almost accident like that when C was 4 weeks old. We were having a teeny baby shower type thing for me(meet the baby type thing) at a pizza place and there was only about 8 of us there. One was my friend who was PG and had a 2.5 year old. C wasn't in his seat the entire time we were there.. However, as we were getting ready to leave I put his infant seat on the table and my friend, who was holding him, buckled him in. She said "there, that should be fine" even though the straps were so loose I could put my whole arm through them. I tightned them up and just as I finished, her 2 year old decided she wanted to see him. So she climbed up on the bench and then used the car seat as leverage to pull herself up the rest of the way. Well, that tipped the car seat forward and she started to fall and the car seat tipped and if C hadn't been buckled in, or hadn't been tightened, he would have fell out on his head. I looked at her and said "and that is why the harness should be tight!"

littleangelfire

I will update next Saturday when we go to bowling again, I could see how a sling would work bowling, now. It is a league, and they're pretty concerned about their scores (not all the players are, but a few are) despite the fact it is a very casual league mostly for socializing with other Christians. It was shocking to see, and I still just can't get over that it happened, that when I saw the baby's head I realized how much time he must spend in that seat or on his back, and that they did nothing but put some ice on his head. Just floored me. I didn't get to use a sling with my son a whole lot, b/c I didn't have one and didn't feel I could afford it. Looking back, it would have been well worth the investment! A lady on a babywearing forum gave me her Mei Tei, and I love it! My son is 41lbs now, so I can't do it very long, but it would've been an answer to prayer in the beginning. He was colicky for 3 months, 2 hours a night. UGH! I, too, never had the option of just leaving him in his seat (or anything else for that matter) for prolonged periods of time. As soon as we'd get to a restaurant he'd want out, not being the usual newborn who falls asleep to tune out the noise, lol, he nursed about every half hour the first 4 months, so even shopping was a little difficult. Many times I walked through Walmart nursing him causing some stares. I now Know I could've used a sling for that! Wish I knew that then.... I don't think babies have to be held all the time, especially with some of the injuries you guys discussed, but those of you also mentioned how much they got to lie in different positions on the floor and still cuddle with you even if they weren't in a sling or literally being carried. I don't think this baby (or lots of others) gets that, just guessing. I've seen babies that had a lil bit of hair missing from the rubbing in seats and cribs, but he has such a full head of hair and he is completely bald in about a 1.5" strip all the way around his head. That says to me he probably doesn't get held a lot or any tummy time to work those muscles. I'd like to be sympathetic and say well, maybe they don't know any better, but where kids are concerned that's just not flying with me anymore. When I learned I was pregnant, I started doing a lot of reading. :) I DID miss some stuff, but I think I got the biggies. I missed some of the nitty gritty on car seats, but I got the basics and did research his seats. I dearly hope he's ok, too, but from what I understand, even if he appears ok, there's a chance this fall could affect him the rest of his life in little ways that may not be traceable.

I don't want to be all holier than thou, I make mistakes, too! My son fell off the couch once or twice when he was a small infant. But that's barely a foot off the floor to soft carpet. As he gets older, his accidents get worse, lol. He's already broken his arm falling out of a chair that he was climbing on, while I was in it. That was totally preventable I think. There are definitely accidents that can't be foreseen or helped, but I don't think this is one of those. In fact, had I realized he wasn't buckled I would have said something, no matter how much it irritated everybody, but unfortunately I didn't notice. I think a stroller is a little different, too. Its not as confined a space. Babies shouldn't be in any 'device' for a long time, but strollers are meant for them to sit in while going places. Car seats are mostly meant for car seats or acid reflux babies who need to be propped up to sleep.

southpawboston

we used to give our DDs some time lying in a moses basket with an uber-soft sheepskin when they were less than a month or so old. one day when DD2 was only a week old DW dropped the basket as she was carrying it across the room. DD2 sort of rolled out of it and hit the floor (hardwoord) from about two feet up. DW freaked, we brought her immediately to the ER, despite no outward signs of any damage.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Although, you can't bowl with a baby in a sling!

I've bowled twice while baby wearing. I'm pretty sure at least one of those was in a sling (back carry) and the other one was probably with a Trekker (pack style on back). I can see not wanting to hold a baby in a competitive game, but with two parents present, that shouldn't be an issue, either. Just pass him back and forth. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC