Question *UPDATE/NEW PHOTOS* Is this okay? Re: Radian FF install with locking clip

HaileysMommy

Update: Does this look better? Recline foot is out, belt stalk twisted once, locking clip and inch from the buckle.
734534_281130132018957_1589714842_n.jpg

577144_281130148685622_1081092537_n.jpg

OP:
If I twist the belt stalk it puts the belt on the curve of the seat and I can't get the locking clip on there. This is the belt not twisted at all. I could install with LATCH but I"m afraid of it loosening due to where the locking mechanism sits in relation to the curve of the seat. Blah..I hope this isn't completely incompatible with my car.

69255_280627758735861_1525850933_n.jpg

599052_280627748735862_110949632_n.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Jessica61624

Did you try twisting down the belt stalk? That isn't ok imo. I don't like the buckle on the edge like that. Did you flip out the recline foot?

HaileysMommy

Re: Is this okay? Re: Radian FF install with locking clip

Did you try twisting down the belt stalk? That isn't ok imo. I don't like the buckle on the edge like that. Did you flip out the recline foot?

It's not flipped out. That recline foot is a joke and isn't going to change the install enough to fix the problem. What do you mean about the buckle being on the edge? I guess I mean I don't see what the problem is with the buckle where its at. I'm worried about the belt being twisty with the locking clip on it.

Eta I see you said now yourl tried twisting it. Can you put the locking clip on while unbuckled and then buckle after its one?

I'm unaware of any other way to put a locking clip on :confused: When twisted the belt folds up really bad where the locking clip would go and the locking clip would be on the curve and prevents buckling.

Keeanh

Re: Is this okay? Re: Radian FF install with locking clip

Why do you need a locking clip? Older vehicle? Or what?

I would put the recline foot out. It's not a joke. It makes a difference for FF installs.

Does the Radian slide forward if you pull on it? If so, you should pull it forward an inch or two and re-tighten.

If a locking clip is indeed necessary, I would twist the belt stalk another time so that the latchplate isn't jammed up against the edge of the belt path. Then I would put the locking clip 1" away from the latchplate so that the locking clip was within the belt path. Basically, the locking clip position looks good now, but I would want that latchplate a smidge farther away from the belt path.

HaileysMommy

Why do you need a locking clip? Older vehicle? Or what?

I would put the recline foot out. It's not a joke. It makes a difference for FF installs.

Does the Radian slide forward if you pull on it? If so, you should pull it forward an inch or two and re-tighten.

If a locking clip is indeed necessary, I would twist the belt stalk another time so that the latchplate isn't jammed up against the edge of the belt path. Then I would put the locking clip 1" away from the latchplate so that the locking clip was within the belt path. Basically, the locking clip position looks good now, but I would want that latchplate a smidge farther away from the belt path.

My car had locking latch plates but as you can see they have broken off.

I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

Baylor

Why don't you move it to another position in the car? I would not use a broken seat belt. Not if I had another one that worked correctly.

HaileysMommy

Why don't you move it to another position in the car? I would not use a broken seat belt. Not if I had another one that worked correctly.

They are all broken off. The seat belt isn't broken. The springy thing that made the latchplate lock broke off of them thanks to the RFing Radian installs. The seatbelts will still lock in an emergency.

Jessica61624

Its not unsafe to use a seat belt with a broken locking latch plate. Infact I had to use a locking clip with the radian in the Sebring even when they aren't broken.

I alway never able to get a good ff install in my intrepid. The middle was lap belt only and it was ok. In the Sebring I used latch ff. I see that's an old strap. Maybe contact diono the new straps were suppose to fix that.

HaileysMommy

I would get them replaced.. Especially since it means such a hard install on the seat.

I don't have the money to get them replaced. I can move car seats around if this install isn't sufficient. This install isn't hard at all I'm just trying to find the sweet spot where it's correct.

HaileysMommy

Its not unsafe to use a seat belt with a broken locking latch plate. Infact I had to use a locking clip with the radian in the Sebring even when they aren't broken.

I alway never able to get a good ff install in my intrepid. The middle was lap belt only and it was ok. In the Sebring I used latch ff. I see that's an old strap. Maybe contact diono the new straps were suppose to fix that.

:thumbsup: Did you remember that I had a Sebring or could you tell from the pics? Or was it just a coincidence that you mentioned your Sebring? lol This install is in an 02 Sebring. When I installed the Radian RF a few years ago is when the locking mechanism broke. I would have had to use a locking clip then anyway because the long belt stalk made it to where the belt wasn't in a position to make the locking mechanism actually lock. I just switched to LATCH then until all the controversy came out. I actually sold this Radian to a friend and then a few years later she sold it back to me lol

ETA: I need to call Diono about a new harness anyway...more reason to call..ugh.

Keeanh

That install looks a lot better to me. I'd call it good. Can you slide the seat forwards at all? I'm assuming you've checked for back-to-front movement, but thought I'd mention it.

I would get them replaced.. Especially since it means such a hard install on the seat.

Nothing wrong with those belts. If she replaces them, they'll just break again. If there was an easy, cheap option to replace with heavy-duty locking latchplates, I'd say go for it. But a locking clip isn't the end of the world.

Jessica61624

:thumbsup: Did you remember that I had a Sebring or could you tell from the pics? Or was it just a coincidence that you mentioned your Sebring? lol This install is in an 02 Sebring. When I installed the Radian RF a few years ago is when the locking mechanism broke. I would have had to use a locking clip then anyway because the long belt stalk made it to where the belt wasn't in a position to make the locking mechanism actually lock. I just switched to LATCH then until all the controversy came out. I actually sold this Radian to a friend and then a few years later she sold it back to me lol

ETA: I need to call Diono about a new harness anyway...more reason to call..ugh.

I remember you have one. I don't remember the stalks being that long. The one I had was also a 02 but it had leather.

HaileysMommy

That install looks a lot better to me. I'd call it good. Can you slide the seat forwards at all? I'm assuming you've checked for back-to-front movement, but thought I'd mention it.

Nothing wrong with those belts. If she replaces them, they'll just break again. If there was an easy, cheap option to replace with heavy-duty locking latchplates, I'd say go for it. But a locking clip isn't the end of the world.

No front to back movement at all. I was scared of that!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
FWIW, I didn't think the installs without twisting the webbing were bad or wrong but I do like the updated install pic better. Good job! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC