Untethered Nautilus

Zappa

My 3yo DD rides in a Graco Nautilus in my Mom's 2000 Isuzu Trooper. When I installed the seat, I checked the car's owners manual and could not find any top anchor points to tether the seat. It is installed in the center using the lap only belt with a locking clip on the latch side. I had to twist the female end of the seat belt 3 times to keep it below the belt path.

The seat is very tight and does not shift side to side, but after reading here I am concerned about it not being tethered. I scheduled a safety check at the local police station, but I am not 100% confident in their skillset. I have had checks done there before and then found contradicting info here. My Mom's Trooper is new (to her) and I only bought the GN 2 months ago when my DD outgrew the convertible she had been riding in.

The safety check is not for another 2 weeks, but in the meantime any advice would be appreciated. Do I have other options?

ADS

Maedze

First things first, you need to remove the locking clip IMMEDIATELY. It is not a crash device, it is ONLY for a lap shoulder belt with an operating retractor.

If the belt does not stay tight alone, give the male end a half twist before plugging it in.

If you are relying on the locking clip to create a sense of tightness, in an accident that clip WILL pop off, the belt WILL slide right to the end, and the seat will essentially behave as though it wasn't buckled in at all (except for possibly not being ejected from the car).

Did the technicians tell you to put a locking clip on a lap belt?!

The part number for a tether anchor kit for the Trooper is 8-97805-890-2. There are three 8 mm weld nuts in the cargo floor. You can purchase a tether anchor kit from an Isuzu dealer for between 7 and 13 dollars.

Zappa

Maedze: Thank you for the reply. I will remove the locking clip today. The technicians did not tell me to use one in this configuration. I thought I had to because the lap belt doesn't stay tight on its own. After buckling the car seat in, as I try to wiggle the seat around the lap belt loosens up until I can move the seat around several inches. Putting the clip on solved that problem but now I see how misleading that is. I will take it off and try twisting the male side as you suggested.

If that doesn't work, I will move the seat to an outboard position where there are lap/shoulder belts that lock/ratchet if you pull them out the whole way. My Mom's previous vehicle had lap/shoulder belts that did NOT lock, so the technician told us to use the locking clip back then. I haven't had my Mom's new vehicle in for a check yet, but it is scheduled.

As for the top anchor, which positions can they be installed in? All three?

Thanks again for your help.

Zappa

So I called the nearest dealership and was told that they no longer carry that part number (8-97805-890-2) because Isuzu has been out of business since 2005. They could not tell me anywhere else that I could buy the kit. I did find an online Isuzu parts store at https://www.isuzuparts.com but when I search for that part number it comes up as a 'BRACKET; SEAT B'. I wonder if that is right. Is this something that I can install myself or does it have to be done by a dealer?

sholoulou

I have a 1997 Isuzu Trooper and got my Trooper retrofitted for the tethers about 6 months ago. I do not remember the part # but I can call my dealership to see if they can look it up and find it for you.

sholoulou

Ok, for a 2000 Isuzu Trooper they are $27.19 each
Part # is 8972203360
Hope this helps!

I went ahead and got anchors for all 3 seats. The $7-13 a piece must be an old quote because I paid the 27.00 each as well. I wish they were only $7-13 each!

babygirlsmom1005

So I called the nearest dealership and was told that they no longer carry that part number (8-97805-890-2) because Isuzu has been out of business since 2005. They could not tell me anywhere else that I could buy the kit. I did find an online Isuzu parts store at https://www.isuzuparts.com but when I search for that part number it comes up as a 'BRACKET; SEAT B'. I wonder if that is right. Is this something that I can install myself or does it have to be done by a dealer?

Isuzu is still in business, just abandoned the US market for passanger vehicles in 2008 (not 2005 - my DH was working for Isuzu in 2005 and he left them in 2007).

If the dealership has "Part Locator", they can type in the part number and find a dealership that has it (YAY for you having the part number - that's a big plus). Call your dealership back and see if they have the capability to do that, if they do, have them locate it and get it sent to them. If not, start calling Isuzu dealers you can find online and see what they do to help you.

Oh and descriptions are funny for parts.....basic things like B bracket, or whatever is usual for a part description for a manufacture - they don't call a lot of things the same that the general public calls them - if that makes any sense.

Zappa

Well, I called the dealer back and gave them both part numbers. The one Maedze gave me is totally unavailable. The one sholoulou gave me they found, but said there is only one left in the entire country (US). I also called the online store and was told both parts are no longer being made. I must admit I am a little shocked at how unhelpful the parts guys on the phone are. They don't even know what I am talking about when I say 'top anchor/tether anchor' for a child safety seat. I asked the local dealer if they would install the bracket if I ordered the last one in the country, and he said no, because they do not even know what it is for. /boggle

babygirlsmom1005

Well, I called the dealer back and gave them both part numbers. The one Maedze gave me is totally unavailable. The one sholoulou gave me they found, but said there is only one left in the entire country (US). I also called the online store and was told both parts are no longer being made. I must admit I am a little shocked at how unhelpful the parts guys on the phone are. They don't even know what I am talking about when I say 'top anchor/tether anchor' for a child safety seat. I asked the local dealer if they would install the bracket if I ordered the last one in the country, and he said no, because they do not even know what it is for. /boggle

Yeah - parts department aren't going to really know what it is since it's not something that came standard on it. When I got my Suburban retrofitted, it took the service manager to order the part and understand what I was talking about (even with the TSB#).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC