Two RF tethers on same seat track?

NatesMamma

When installing two seats that allow RF tethering side by side, is it acceptable to loop both D rings around the same seat track and tether both carseats to that single track?

I currently have a side by side RN and CCO that are both tethered to the inboard track of the front passenger seat in my car.

ADS

NatesMamma

Thanks.

Why do you say it's a bad idea? The reason I tethered both seats to the same track is that the outer track for that seat is shaped differently, and I don't think I can pop the plastic off that one. I might be able to make the CCO D ring work there. However, I thought I saw something in the CCO manual about tethering toward the center of the vehicle, which I took to mean that the inner seat track is preferable. The RN was already tethered to that track. I could move the RN tether to the driver's seat track, though. The RN is center and the CCO is outboard.

I was just trying to think this through, and I can't come up with a good reason why it might be bad. Rebound isn't a super high energy event, so I highly doubt that having two tethers on the track would damage it in any way. Also, the vehicle in question doesn't have advanced airbags, so there are no wires/ sensors down there that could be adversely affected. I would feel differently if the car did have advanced airbags.

Not that it's a big deal to move one of the D rings. I just like having more info on why something is or isn't a good idea. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
More because I know Diono, Britax, and Combi say you can tether, and a seat track is fine, but I've never heard any of them say to tether multiple seats to the same essential point (not the same D ring, but the same area), and in general that's frowned upon. I'll freely admit that it's a gray area, but I'd probably move the Radian's tether over, rather than wonder if it's ok.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC