Two issues with Size4Me installation

MyTwoSons

I keep waffling on whether my current latch install is okay or if it could be a problem in an accident. (There is a pic included in the link to the photobucket album). The release mechanism for the latch strap doesn't lay flat against the seat due to the angle it comes from the latch connector. It is rotated outward and I keep worrying over whether the angle of it would allow it to release in an accident. Is it safe like it is??

I decided I would just do a seatbelt install instead (although the gen3 seatbelts in my van concern me too :(). It was easy to get it tight, but the lap portion of the belt rides up on the crotch strap pushing it down and back towards the seatback of the S4M. It covers almost 3/4 of an inch of the crotch strap. (Pics are included as well). Am I spacing and doing something wrong that makes this not work?

I am now frustrated because I :love: this seat, but I'm currently not 100% comfortable with either install.

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o543/Mommy2sons/Install Issues with Size4me 70/

ADS

Brianna

The LATCH is fine. It's not a tilt release so the angle isn't an issue. Let us know what the manual says about seat belt routing around the crotch strap.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

MyTwoSons

The LATCH is fine. It's not a tilt release so the angle isn't an issue. Let us know what the manual says about seat belt routing around the crotch strap.

Maybe I am confused, but I thought it was a tilt release :confused: There isn't a button you push to release the tension to loosen it, rather you just pull outward on the top of that plastic buckle to release the tension.

As for the seatbelt routing, unless I missed it, it didn't clarify. I was assuming it went in front of it though. The reasons being that it states the inside crotch position has to be used while rf, and the latch strap is routed in such a way (through a loop that is connected to the seat) that it makes it go in front of the crotch strap. (There is no interference when installed with latch). I thought maybe the seatbelt was suppose to be threaded through the same loop the latch strap goes through, to hold it back, but the seatbelt is too wide for that.

Any thoughts??

Brianna

I thought you pull the red strap? Maybe I'm confused on how your LATCH works.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

smackeen

I think I would be leary of the seatbelt with that much covering that much covering the crotch buckle.

Angle of the latch may be ok. I would wait to hear from a more experienced tech though as I just took the course.

MyTwoSons

I thought you pull the red strap? Maybe I'm confused on how your LATCH works.

I think the red strap is the strap that holds the UAS to the seat.

You pull the red strap to release the latch connector from the latch hook in the vehicle. The part I am concerned about is the release mechanism that just loosens the latch strap, thus loosening the carseat install. That's the part in the pic that is angled out and you just pull back on the top of the buckle to release the tension. Sorry if that all sounds confusing.

MyTwoSons

The latch strap is a tilt release but the angle looks good to me. Can you snap a couple more pictures of it?

I'd be much happier with latch than with the gen3 belt. I had those in my previous van and they terrified me.

Sorry, my previous post cross-posted with yours. Happy to know the latch strap angle may not be a problem! Are there specific pics you want or just more in general?

I am terrified of the gen3 as well. Unfortunately I may have to switch DS1 FR85 to seatbelt in the near future :(

monstah

How hard or easy is it to release the tension on the latch strap? If it takes almost no force with one finger, I'd be concerned it would loosen accidentally by passengers climbing in, etc.

If the tilt lock was up on the corner of the shell, that's not good but in the picture the tilt lock looks to be right in the middle of the plastic where it's supposed to be. I suggested a couple more pictures because sometimes angles can be deceiving in photos so if you're concerned, the photo may not be showing the angle accurately.
:D

MyTwoSons

How hard or easy is it to release the tension on the latch strap? If it takes almost no force with one finger, I'd be concerned it would loosen accidentally by passengers climbing in, etc.

If the tilt lock was up on the corner of the shell, that's not good but in the picture the tilt lock looks to be right in the middle of the plastic where it's supposed to be. I suggested a couple more pictures because sometimes angles can be deceiving in photos so if you're concerned, the photo may not be showing the angle accurately.
:D

Thank you. I did add 3 more pics of it in the album. You are correct in that it isn't up on the corner of the shell so that is good. It isn't super easy to release with one finger, and IRL I have a FR85 installed next to it so there's no way a passenger could accidentally loosen it.

If you still think the latch is okay, I will definitely keep it installed that way instead of the gen3 belt. However, what do you make of the seatbelt install? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Could it be vehicle specific? I question it simply because I might need to put this seat in another vehicle somewhere along the line with seatbelt.

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o543/Mommy2sons/Install Issues with Size4me 70/

smackeen

I think the latch looks fine.

Seatbelt seems like it would interfere too much with the crotch strap though. You could always contact Graco on how the seatbelt effects the crotch strap and see what they say.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC