TurboBooter with 2013 Sienna Captain Chair problem

whitebear

Hi. I have the Graco Highback Turbo Booster with Safety Surround booster seat. I put it in the 2nd row Sienna Captain Chairs (they have the seatbelt built into the top of the seat).

The problem is that when I pull the seatbelt to buckle my daughter in, the seat belt pulls real slow, and gets slack that does not recoil very well back into place. I have to sort of help it recoil back, which makes me nervous that it is not working properly.

Has anyone else had this problem, am I doing something wrong? I wonder if the extra padding on the seat -the surround stuff- is in the way?

When I pull the seatbelt to feed it into the booster seat holder, I have to go on an angle because of the location of the seat belt and where I need to feed the belt into the booster.

Any suggestions or info would be great. first time using a booster so maybe I am doing something wrong. Thanks!

Oh, and I did notice too that my driver seat seatbelt has a similar problem where the slack doesn't recoil as fast as I would like. Maybe I need to get them adjusted? Thanks again.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just want to bump this up, I know a few of us have this car and trouble with that seating position and highback boosters, so I hope they can chime in with some input for you!
As for the front belts, it certainly couldn't hurt to have the dealer check them out for proper functioning.

Good luck!

whitebear

Thanks. I am hoping someone will be able to answer. I did find out more information. The booster seat works perfectly well on the 3rd row bench seat, where the seatbelt comes from the wall of the minivan and not from the actual seat. I think the flaw has something to do with the seatbelt not having flexibility to move side to side from the back of the captain chair. I don't know, but for now, the child will sit in the booster in the 3rd row. Maybe someone else has a solution, or knows a high back booster that works in the captain seat with those types of seatbelts. Thank you!

scoutingbear

No solutions, but the belt path in different boosters will make them more or less compatible with shoulder belts in different vehicles.

Not your seats, but for example, my parkway doesn't work well in my husbands car but works great in both the captains chair and the 3rd row of my van. The turbo only works in the 3rd row of my van because of the shoulder belt not retracting well.

Athena

I've experienced many booster to vehicle incompatibilities like this. Depending on the geometry, it can sometimes be solved by adjusting the booster up a click, if that causes the shoulder belt guide to line up better or if the problem was that the shoulder belt guide was overlapping the car seat shell. However, it often means you have to get a different booster with a shoulder belt guide that aligns better with your vehicle's shoulder belt position. HTH.

whitebear

Thank you for the replies. I am realizing the same thing that you are saying, that it really depends on the booster and my seat belt and each brand and style is different. I had no idea it'd be so much work. I tried an Evenflo Big Kid XL because it looked a little more "sturdy" and padded for comfort. But I had to return it because I had the same problem with the shoulder belt guide.

But then I tried the Evenflo Big Kid Sport. And that one actually works very well with my captain seat/seatbelt issue. There is a different guide on it, and the belt sits the right way. The guide is like more of an open chain link if that makes sense? And it doesn't have any extra loops or angles on it in the center.
Thank you again for the help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC