trying to get this britax installed - need help

pbandjenny

CPS Technician
background: my child is 37 inches, 34 ish lbs, 14 inch torso, 27 months....grew out of his britax boulevard 70 by height rear facing and so I'm flipping him. Yes, I would like to keep him rf (it's killing me not to) but I don't have the option to buy another seat right now. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I *might* get some money from family and then I can see but that is not the point of this post.

I went out to install my seat forward facing and I'm having a very hard time with it. I'm using the lap/shoulder belt b/c of my son's weight. (this whole LATCH weight w/ the seat weight all concerns me).

Anyway...

my first issue is my &%$# seat belt - it has this crazy LOOP on it which is preventing it from going any further through the belt path. (When dh comes home, I might be able to have one of us push the seat down and another one of us pull the belt tighter to get it up and over this part....but seriously, has anyone ever seen this? I even looked in my car manual and there is not a word about it.

photo1.jpg

My 2nd issue is this..... b/c the base of this seat is so high, it's pulling the seat belt webbing down once buckled in, making it sort of bunch up and I CANNOT get the lock off to clip shut. It's like the webbing is too low. Does that make sense? Again, maybe w/ dh here I can have him push the seat down w/ more force, loosening the webbing enough to bring it up higher......SIGH. Someone....help!

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx206/mypbandj/photo2.jpg

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The loop is to keep the buckle from sliding down the seatbelt. That's it. It's annoying. Can you tuck it down and get it into the belt path?

Can you spread out the seatbelt a bit, and reintroduce a little slack into the belts? I know that's counter intuitive, but that's how you close the lockoffs, by having a little bit of slack. That's the lockoff closer to the buckle, right?

What car do you drive? The 2014 regulations won't go into effect until 2014, and they're not retroactive right now. So you may have six to 14 pounds before you have to stop using LATCH. Though the last time I saw that loop was in a new Honda, which is 40 pounds.

Wendy

Kegracin

The little flap is apparently a convenience thing to keep the latch plate from sliding down. Also the lock offs are not required so you could close them and install the seat with out the lock offs and lock your seat belt like you would with a seat with out lock offs.

I wish I had my MA70 here (its in my BIL's truck) I wonder if I get the bunching in my Yukon. (I've only installed it FF with latch)

Sending this up for you maybe some one can help you with the bunching issue and can tell you if its okay.

This thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=66921 says that bunching is okay.

pbandjenny

CPS Technician
The loop is to keep the buckle from sliding down the seatbelt. That's it. It's annoying. Can you tuck it down and get it into the belt path?

Can you spread out the seatbelt a bit, and reintroduce a little slack into the belts? I know that's counter intuitive, but that's how you close the lockoffs, by having a little bit of slack. That's the lockoff closer to the buckle, right?

What car do you drive? The 2014 regulations won't go into effect until 2014, and they're not retroactive right now. So you may have six to 14 pounds before you have to stop using LATCH. Though the last time I saw that loop was in a new Honda, which is 40 pounds.

Wendy

It's a Kia Rondo, 2008 I believe.

I had to go pick up my daughter so I just went ahead and used LATCH.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Kia does not specify, so in this case you're limited to 40 pounds, weight of the child only. So depending on how quickly your child grows, that may be up to a year or more.

Wendy

pbandjenny

CPS Technician
Kia does not specify, so in this case you're limited to 40 pounds, weight of the child only. So depending on how quickly your child grows, that may be up to a year or more.

Wendy

Well I had to go ahead w/ the LATCH, I couldn't get it installed correctly w/ the belt at all. I suppose this makes me feel better...he's not at the 40 lb mark yet. I'm just anxious b/c I know one day, I am going to have to deal w/ this. Oh well. LOL
Thanks for your help!

amelia222

I have tried to install that seat FF in a few different vehicles with the seatbelt and while it isn't completely impossible, it takes a lot of work. For me and my (non) willingness to fight with this seat I consider it to be LATCH-install only when used FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC