Question Trying to find actual regulation or policy for California use of EU approved Car Seats!

I am a US Mommy-to-be living in the United Kingdom temporarily while overseas tour at a US base here. I am having my first child 7 months before I am scheduled to return to California. I've bought a car seat here that meets the EU standards and regulation here. I'm desparately trying to find actual legal or regulation that states you must have a US car seat in California or US. I am hoping that I will be able to utilize this expensive car seat until my little baby grows to the next size car seat which will most likely transpire after my return to California. I keep seeing blogs and forums saying it has to be US car seat, but I cannot find any actual information on car seats from the enforcement and or governing bodies anywhere! Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
California has an exemption for medical reasons, actually, one of the few states that does, but you'd need a doctor's note (which is how the DMV etc interpret that law.) However that wouldn't apply to an infant bucket which is what I'm guessing you'll have, or almost any 7 month old.

I doubt that you'll be cited for it if you don't have one immediately upon arrival, but you will need a convertible once the infant seat is outgrown anyway to rear-face longer, so once you get here, and have a car, you might as well go ahead and do that. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
California has an exemption for medical reasons, actually, one of the few states that does, but you'd need a doctor's note (which is how the DMV etc interpret that law.) However that wouldn't apply to an infant bucket which is what I'm guessing you'll have, or almost any 7 month old.

I doubt that you'll be cited for it if you don't have one immediately upon arrival, but you will need a convertible once the infant seat is outgrown anyway to rear-face longer, so once you get here, and have a car, you might as well go ahead and do that. :)

I've tried finding more information on this and never have. I know the law says (or said--I don't remember if it's in the new one, but I'm sure it is), that there can be an exception for medical reasons, but that it's up to the courts, or something. To me, it always sounded like something you'd have to fight after the fact, not something you can get an exemption for proactively. I tried finding some kind of form from DMV, etc. with no luck.

But anyway, yes, other than a possible medial exemption, California law clearly requires use of a federally approved seat, although the odds of being cited for using a foreign one are probably pretty small.

penguingrooves

everything KQ said. i'm assuming you have an EU-approved infant carrier/bucket (group 0+) and not a convertible. if your child will be 7 months old when you move to CA, you might end up wanting to switch to a convertible if the bucket seat + growing baby become too cumbersome or heavy to carry, so the timing of your move could coincide with car seat change.

if you already have a convertible instead (like a duologic, group 0+/1), it would be illegal to use in CA without a medical reason. but chance of getting caught using an illegal seat is virtually none. not that i'm encouraging you to use a car seat illegally.

it seems like a US convertible is in your future if you want to follow the law. since there's a good chance that your baby will be ready for that stage anyway and no one can predict your baby's growth, i wouldn't worry until it's time to move because you may not have to worry by then. congratulations on your baby!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think I did once. She hates me. (Just kidding.) (I hope.)

Oh yes, of course I hate you. That's why I don't have you on ignore and am responding to you.

Seriously though, I'm just bad at remembering to respond to PMs if I read them when I don't have time to reply.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27315.htm

section g formally states the exemption do to medical issues for seatbelt use.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27360.htm

section 2f for child seats

The medical exemption form for restraints at DMV is no longer used. Basically you have a letter to show a cop if you're questioned. If the cop doesn't believe you, you get a citation to appear and show your proof to a judge. A letter from a doctor prescribing a certain car seat and customs forms showing the seat was imported as durable medical equipment should cover your butt if you end up in court, but of course it's a gamble you have to be willing to take.

Thank you all for the info. Sounds like I'm going to luckily enough be at the stage for the next size up when I move back home! Whew! That makes me feel less bad about maybe wasting money. I just want my baby safe. Appreciate all the links and info.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC