Trying to decide on a new seat for 5 Yr old

Elizabethie05

Hello all,
My husband and I have said for a while now that as long as our son was showing the ability to be mindful in a booster and sit properly we would move him from harness to booster at 6. Well, his 6th birthday is looming and while we would like to put him in a booster and help him learn to be mindful.... We take long 8+ hr trips at least twice a yr. So he still falls asleep in the car and is a rambunctious boy. So we have been rethinking moving him to an exclusive booster.
He is in an Evenflo Maestro right now and if he gains 4 more lbs then he will be at the harness weight limit. If we move him to a harness-booster combo. Which is the best/easiest for switching out; harness to booster? Or would the Recaro booster keep him in place well enough for long trips? Not really comfortable with his size/weight being only in a booster. But I have a hard time stomaching buying a harness seat he can still fit in AND a booster. TIA for any advice!!!

Oh!!! He is 46 lbs and approx 47 in. tall.

ADS

amyd

My similar size and age son finds his Diono Monterey very comfortable for long trips (we do 16+ hours to visit family each year). It's comfy for sleeping as well and I find the head and torso support helps him remember to stay in position as well.

aeormsby

I would maybe try him in the Maestro as a booster and see how he does to help with your decision. My DS turned 6 in Dec and we moved him to a booster shortly after. Last summer I was seriously questioning if he'd be ready at age 6 but he's done amazingly well and has no problem sleeping in them either. He has Recaro boosters, the Vivo (discontinued) and the Performance booster and fits great in both of them, he's similar size to your DS, a couple inches shorter, same weight.

If you need to look at different harnessed seats the Nautilus works well as both a harnessed seat and a booster (so only one seat to buy). I'm not too familiar with the Harmony combo seat, it's cheaper but I don't know how long/well it works as a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC