Trying to decide best set-up for 4YO & 8YO!

Best for all?

• Total voters

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Trying to decide which is the best set-up for my kids in my moms car after we move there.

Option A: 4YO center in 86Y harness, 8YO outboard in Britax Parkway

Or

Option B: 4YO outboard in Radian XT, 8YO center in 86Y harness

Or

Option C: ??? what's your recommendation!? please post!

Neither of the kids will be in her car long enough to sleep, they aren't usually car sleepers.

ADS

scatterbunny

What car? I'm assuming it has a lapbelt-only in the middle, which is why you only mentioned the 86Y for that spot.

I honestly wouldn't have my mom deal with an 86Y, I'd want things as simple and straightforward as possible. I'd probably put the 8yo outboard in the Parkway and the 4yo in the Radian in the middle. :shrug-shoulders: I know best practice is to keep the most protected in the least protected position, so it's hard to put a boostered child outboard and a harnessed child in the center, but sometimes, for a variety of reasons, that scenario just doesn't work out.

Pixels

I'm with Scatter. Is there a reason you didn't put 4yo center Radian, 8yo outboard PW as an option?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Because I think he would be so much safer than she would be, and I have issues with that. I also don't think dd could buckle herself if ds is center in a Radian.

If I show my mom how to do it, and I show my kids how to make sure it's right, it will be used properly.

My mother respects my decisions as a parent, and she knows I am WAAAAY more educated than she is on so many subjects.

ETA: It's a 1999, or 2000 Ford Taurus. It has a center lap belt and 3 tether anchors, but no lower anchors.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
In addition, what got me thinking about this...

I was planning initially to put both kids outboard, but since she has that center lap belt, and a variety of grand kids I thought an 86Y was an appropriate investment. In addition, she could just leave it in her car and it would work for either of my kids - if she happened to need to take both, she could just put dd's parkway in.

In reality I don't know how much time the kids will spend in her car... I also don't know how she feels about seats being in there permanently. If she drives them multiple times a week I am sure she would be fine with it, but if she only ends up driving them once in a while I am not so sure. She often has my 12 & 13YO nieces with her too, and sometimes their friends.

Pixels

If she's going to be transporting older kids, I wouldn't want to take up one of the shoulder belts with the Radian (if it's going to be permanenty installed). It would be better to install it in the center, or use the 86Y.

Would you get the heavy duty tether anchor installed, and would Grandma be able to show the teens and tweens how to use the 86Y?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd install the HDTA - piece of cake in that car ;)

The only three kids who could use the tether with the limit the manufacturer has are my two, and my youngest neice (yes, I know the two youngest would need a booster and I wouldn't use it for them until they met the requirements - dd should gain another pound by the time we move there, so she wouldn't need a booster), but still, I think it would be easier for my mom than installing a carseat - she has some back/hip, pain/mobility issues and I don't think she could install a carseat. I think even lifting the Radian and bending to put it on the seat would throw her back out.

The more I think about it, the more I think the 86Y with HDTA (so a LARGE amount of the grandkids can use it) is a good idea. I hate that she has a lap belt there, and she has had kids ride in that spot (nieces or nieces friends), so it would make someone safer.

I'll probably just put ds in the XT outboard and dd in the 86Y center then.

Maedze

I can see no compelling reason to mess with an 86 Y....really, none at all :twocents:

I'd put the four year old center in the Radian, 8 year old outboard in the Parkway, and call it good.

zeo2ski

I'd put the Radian in the center and leave it there--because if it's lap belt only, you don't want the nieces or their friends riding in that lap belt. If the Radian's in the way, they can't and won't sit there. :twocents:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I just don't feel like the 86Y is such a bother.

I've used one before, and the only time it's really a PITA is when used with a shoulder belt. With just a lap belt? it's really easy.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd put the Radian in the center and leave it there--because if it's lap belt only, you don't want the nieces or their friends riding in that lap belt. If the Radian's in the way, they can't and won't sit there. :twocents:

No, if my mom pics up my two nieces, and they each want to bring a friend, they would put it in the trunk and someone would sit in the center.

BW1426

I voted for B. I've never used an 86Y, but I can't see it being a huge PITA with a lapbelt. I'd think your DD could buckle herself into it, right? Is your mom concerned about car safety or not so much? Does your mom's car have LATCH, if so where?

Maedze

It's not so much that it's a 'pitb'...it's just....I don't think the safety benefit is there to make it worth it, I guess.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'm pretty sure dd could buckle herself. I need to play with the lap belt to see how easy/hard it is to tighten. If it's hard to tighten, I could always just keep it adjusted for her, and make sure to readjust after my mom has my older nieces with her.

My mom is concerned about carseat safety in as much as she uses carseats for the grandkids when their parents provide them, and uses them the way they showed her to use them. I don't think she has installed a carseat since I was a baby though LOL. My brother is capable of installing seats, and doing it well, but he tends to leave the harness a little loose (pinch an inch or so). When I was there last summer, she didn't take the kids anywhere without me, and my seats were never in her car - we just went in my rental.

No lower anchors - 3 top tethers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC