TrueFit rearfacing or different seat?

U

Unregistered

We recently moved our 11 month old, Milo, out of his infant seat into a rear facing Maxi Cosi Priori. Love the seat, but he's tall and is almost within an inch of the top. We need to get him a new seat, and we have a couple options. Bear with me and add some advice, please! We drive a Mercury Mountaineer, I have our big kids forward facing in the 3rd row and Milo is in the middle row, middle seat. They're in a Nautilus and a TrueFit, I don't love the TrueFit and totally love the Nautilus.

Get Milo a new seat, but which one? One that installs easy with a seatbelt as the middle seat doens't have latch. Something that can be tightened easily, too.

Give Milo the TrueFit and get Graham a Nautilus. But, I seem to remember that adjusting the TrueFit while rearfacing was a PITA.

Opinions? I feel like I just fried my brain about carseats a year ago when we bought the infant seat and Grahams TrueFit and now we're at it again!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How old and heavy are your older kids?

I don't adjust my True Fits every time. With the continuous harness I make it tight enough, but so that I can get her arms in and out without loosening or tightening. I check every time, but generally I don't loosen or tighten my harness.

Wendy

Keeanh

I found the True Fit to be the easiest of all my seats to adjust rear-facing. The only one that came close was the Scenera LOL. (I've never owned a Britax convertible, though). The trick is to use one hand to pull the harness tight on the back of the seat while pulling up on the adjuster tail in front. Now I have a My Ride, Coccoro, Radian, and Scenera rear-facing. The only one of those I ever adjust is the Scenera because the others are such a pain. I used to adjust the True Fit pretty much every time, no problem.

jess71903

Ambassador
I would definitely at least try the True Fit RF and get the older kiddo a new seat. I had an '06 Explorer (Mountaineer twin) and found it fairly easy to use, although I seem to remember the center install to be weird...maybe that was for a newbie, though. I also had Gage outboard for my convenience, and LATCH is super easy there.

I am with the others. The harness adjuster does get buried, but I hardly ever adjusted. I do love my True Fits, though.

Keeanh

I am with the others. The harness adjuster does get buried, but I hardly ever adjusted. I do love my True Fits, though.

Yes, the harness adjuster is down where you can't see it. But if you pull the adjuster tail up between the child's feet, it still works. It's easy to release the adjuster by feel (or at least it was in my vehicles).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC