traveling with keyfit base

ARon

CPS Technician
I am thinking ahead to our Christmas travel plans. We will likely still have our DFD placed with us and she will be 5ish months at that time. She seems long-torso'd (already over the 2nd slots in the keyfit without the infant insert), so hopefully will still fit by height!

My question...

Has anyone ever flown with the keyfit base? I know that it is not approved for use in the plane, but my thought was that we could carry the seat through the airport with the base attached, then put the base under the seat during the flight. Will I have any issues with security or flight atttendants (assuming we aren't going over our carry-on limit, which we won't be because we have a ticket for the baby, so that increases our limit, plus we will be carrying her and her seat and diaper bag, so that limits how much we can carry for ourselves anyways.)? We're flying Frontier if that makes any difference.

I can install the seat baseless, but I love how easy it is to install with the base, and once we're to our destination, we will be moving the seat between different family members' vehicles frequently, and I am more confident in my and my husband's ability to install the base quickly and correctly.

Thoughts? Thanks!

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Sorry you didn't already get a response to this.

The base would probably fit underneath the seat or in the overhead bin.

That said, I'd probably just travel w/o the base. It's going to add extra weight and bulk to haul through the airport and plane.

Although you say that installing w/ the base is easy, when moving from vehicle to vehicle it kind of defeats the purpose of the base. Installing w/o the base really is quite simple... thread the belt, tighten it, lock it.

So, if you really want to take the base, it's probably doable; however, I'd recommend just using the seat baseless for your trip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC