Traveling with car seats

U

Unregistered

I'm travelling for the first time with car seats and finding that the more i think of it the more questions i have. We will be traveling from Toronto to Calgary, driving to Prince George, flying to Vancouver, then flying home.

1. We may take an infant seat (could take a True Fit instead). Do i take the base too? We have a Peg Perego seat (an older one, from 2009). I've only ever used it without the base in a pinch, and it just doesn't seem as secure.

2. Do i bring a pool noodle or a towel with us, just in case?

3. My infant will be traveling on my lap but my 3.5 year old will obviously have her own seat. Do we use her carseat on the plane or check it? Is it safer to have her in a car seat, or do people do this for comfort or containment (LOL)?

4. If we check the seats do we need to provide a bag or do the airlines provide them? It will either be Air Canada or West Jet. If we should bring our own bag, where can i get one at a good price?

ADS

sarahlove

It's safer to have children secured in their seats. Also many people will check their seat get to their destination and see that the seat has been damaged.

sarahlove

The child will be restrained in their seat. If they are a lap child it is very hard to hold the child and the child can go flying through the air. So it is safer in the even of a crash.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Is it really safer though? I mean in a plane crash i just dont see how a car seat will make a difference.

Not all plane incidents are catastrophic crashes. There are also bouts of turbulence or aborted take-offs or rough landings. The safest way for a child to ride is in a car seat.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of containment and comfort. If your 3 year old wants to run up an down the aisles of the plane, or even just stand on the seat and annoy the passengers sitting behind you, how are you going to stop her with an infant in your arms? I've flown a lot in the last year (not with my own kiddo, just alone) and from my observations the ones who have small children are much more relaxed and their kids are quieter if they have car seats, compared to the ones who are trying to keep their 3 year olds in that joke of a lap belt on the plane.

canuckmom

Well my 8 month old will be in arms, him having a seat is not an option cost wise. Also he screams in his car seat, it will be more pleasant if i hold him. I remember seeing some sort of a vest before that straps into the parents seat belt. Any input on those?

For my daughter (3.5) we will use her seat. But she's a good kiddo and wouldn't be running up the aisles or climbing the seats even if we didn't.

Can anyone answer my other questions?

creideamh

1. We may take an infant seat (could take a True Fit instead). Do i take the base too? We have a Peg Perego seat (an older one, from 2009). I've only ever used it without the base in a pinch, and it just doesn't seem as secure.

You don't need to travel with the base. The seat passes testing with a baseless install (provided installed correctly and under 1" of movement, of course.) The base is just another thing to drag along and deal with, so I'd leave it at home.

2. Do i bring a pool noodle or a towel with us, just in case?

Practice a baseless install at home and see if you need one, but usually, you don't.

3. My infant will be traveling on my lap but my 3.5 year old will obviously have her own seat. Do we use her carseat on the plane or check it? Is it safer to have her in a car seat, or do people do this for comfort or containment (LOL)?

Because you're bringing her car seat along, it's safer to use it on the plane than it is to check it. Some do it for comfort, some do it for containment, but most do it because otherwise you're risking a safety device to baggage handlers (not to mention it being thrown around down below when the plane takes off/lands.)

4. If we check the seats do we need to provide a bag or do the airlines provide them? It will either be Air Canada or West Jet. If we should bring our own bag, where can i get one at a good price?

Airlines sometimes provide clear plastic bags that have zero protection. If you're checking a seat (which it sounds like you're checking the Peg no matter what), I'd buy your own bag and wrap the seat in loads of bubble wrap. If you can find the JL Childress padded car seat bag, that's a good one, and it would also leave plenty of room for packing the base as well.

-I remember seeing some sort of a vest before that straps into the parents seat belt. Any input on those?

I wouldn't bother. The flight attendants won't allow you to use them on takeoff/landing anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC