travel with 4 kids Vent and Question!!

nkinney84

I have 2 friends that are flying from California to Orlando together next month. I asked what they were doing about carseats and they said nothing they weren't worried as FL tickets dont carry over to Ca. I love these kids to death and hate seeing them unsafe :( They will be renting a car (or 2) there but no idea what they will get. I have kids ages and current seats but only can guess on sizes. Kiddos are 9 (currently rides in just seat belt she doesn't 5 step in my car not sure about her moms but parents dont care) maybe 80lbs and 4'8'' 5yrs old rides in lbb (turbo) maybe 40lbs and 43 inches 3yrs old rides harnessed in a evenflo chase he is tiny i'd guess 36" and 35 lbs and last 2yrs old rides in an evenflo chase is 35lbs and 34". Neither of the parents will rf :( The mom of the older ones doesn't make her kids ride in seats or belts all the time and is already been hit with 2 carseat tickets still hasn't got it through her head that her kids aren't safe!!!! I have no clue what the flight will allow. Any ideas?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The flight doesn't care. It allows lap babies, remember? They'll all have tickets and have to sit buckled, but that's it.

I hope they bring seats with them, though it wouldn't surprise me if they don't.

Wendy

nkinney84

The mom of the youngest will probably take her seat can she use it on the plane? Any good really cheap ideas for the older ones? I'd like to be able to give some suggestions since i have some pull with the grandma that is going with them!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She can. The Chase is a fine travel seat, and bringing a backless is super easy. So I'd just bring their current seats.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What I'd recommend for them is either a Traveling Toddler, or a luggage cart to carry the seats. That'll make it easier and more likely they'll bring them and use them.

Wendy

lyn_ak

As a DMV employee (not CA or FL), states regulary put suspensions on licenses for unpaid tickets. It has nothing to do with whether you are licensed in the state or not. Many many many times have I seen people go to CA, get tickets, don't pay them, want to renew their license and I tell them nope..no can do...go pay your tickets in CA.FL does the same thing. We're not dummies, we check national databases before issuing licenses. So there goes that argument for them.

martygras

I'm betting that her friend meant that points don't carry from FL to CA.

When we were young and stupid we didn't care how fast we drove out of state because the only places that can add points to NYS licenses are Quebec and Ontario.

nkinney84

She is not concerned since she had her license suspended in Az last year and it doesn't effect her in Ca. She renewed hers fine earlier this month. It makes me crazy because one of her boys is special needs and has no concept of why he needs to stay in a seat. Since he just unbuckles himself she doesn't care. The mom of the youngest is better but since the other mom is her sister she won't go against the grain and make waves. Would the 5 and 9 yr olds be ok in a bubble bum? I'm thinking if I got them for the kids as a travel gift and made them cool and fun they might want to use them on their own since they could carry them in their backpacks. Maybe some kind of prize when they get back if they use them every time they are in the car. The oldest rides in a booster in her friends car and loves it because the seat belt doesn't hurt her neck, so I'm sure given the chance she would use one on her own (she has asked her mom to get her a seat and mom refuses because she is legal to ride without one).

Just looking for any way to help keep these kids safe.

mayasmommy

I don't know if there is anything you can say to someone with an attitude like that. If she doesn't care about her kids safety in her own car, she is not going to when travelling, especially with the extra hassle.

You can try to have a sit down with her about safety, but at this point she seems more worried about tickets than head and spinal cord injuriues, not to mention death.

And, you probably already do, but I would never ever ever put my kids in her car.

I am sorry. It must be super frustrating. My brother is a total doofus about car seat safety (but at least his kids are buckled in the car, even if they do turn FF on their first birthday), and sometimes I just need to bite my tongue to not say something to him. I tried once, but it was like talking to a wall, so I dont bother anymore.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC