Toddler bed or twin bed?

Anne

DD turned 2 last month. She's always slept in our bed. But the time has come to get her into her own bed. Maybe into her own room, but for starters just in her own bed.

We have a crib mattress for her that is practically new, so I just assumed we'd go the toddler bed route for a year or two before getting her a twin. But now I'm second guessing spending the money on a toddler bed and bedding set. We have a spare twin mattress/frame, so if we went directly to twin, we'd only have to get the bedding set. But then the toddler bed is just cute :p and keeps her lower to the ground in case she falls out.

Which way do you think is best? Straight to twin or toddler bed? What'd you do?

ADS

Qarin

I think I'd probably get a toddler bed off craigslist, buy an inexpensive mattress pad and fitted crib sheet, and a twin-sized comforter. The freedom of being able to get easily in and out of bed is nice, and the cost (since you have a mattress) is low.

Alternatively, I'd put the twin size mattress on the floor for her (assuming you're not in, like, scorpion country... an issue I had never considered until someone mentioned it recently...).

Evolily

Well, I'd just put the mattress on the ground (less far to fall and cheaper), buy twin pillow/comforter/quilt/etc and crib sized sheets (or use the sheets you already have) and a mattress pad/protector/etc.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We converted the cribs into toddler beds at 2. Shortly before their 3rd birthday, we did box spring and mattress directly on the floor. That way I would still use the rail for my one twin who sleeps ALL OVER THE PLACE. Plus it's easier for me to sit on their beds etc. By 4, I will add frames. But for now, this works beautifully!!

Mags462

Twin on the floor.

THIS! Or really all of the above advice is sound.... we had a toddler bed for my now 4yr old and while he loved it because it was lightening mcqueen he outgrew it really fast! We bought convertible bunk beds (eg you can stack them or use them individually) and moved my 2yr old directly in to a twin w/ a side rail on. He has done very well. Unless space is an issue the toddler beds are just not as good of an investment money wise.... but that's my :twocents:

Anne

Thank you all for your advice. For now we've put the crib mattress on the floor next to our bed (which is also just a mattress on the floor) and we're using crib sheets and just some spare blankets. I hadn't even thought of using a twin comforter with the crib mattress. I didn't want to invest in a toddler set that wouldn't be used long, but didn't know if I wanted her in a twin just yet.

I think we'll look at getting a twin bedding set so that we can go with either mattress. We'll just see what she likes. We might keep her on the crib mattress while she's in our room just for the space issue but maybe try the twin on the floor if she goes to her own room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC