TMI--snot question

JaRylan

Jenny - how are you doing? Hoping that you feel better.

I think I'm going to take all the great suggestions/remedies from this thread and from my coughing thread and compile them onto a sheet that I will tape to the inside of my medicine cupboard.

ADS

Wineaux

Just to point out that recent studies have proven that echinacea does NOTHING to prevent or lessen the duration of colds. If just doesn't work.

I'd also point out that just because something is "natural" doesn't mean that it's always safe. Especially while pregnant or nursing. "Natural" remedies often have similiar ingredients and side effects as prescribed medications. Ephedra is "natural", but it can still cause heart problems and kill you.

Herbs and Pregnancy

I hope you are feeling better. Just be safe when self medicating.

Not to be oppositional, wineaux, but do you have a link for the echinacea studies?

There are also a bunch of studies from the mid-90's that unequivocally stated that sugar does NOT cause hyperactive behavior in children. :shrug:

I'd rather see links to the studies (not just an article on the results-- those are usually put out with their own "spin"). Then I can make my own extrapolations on the methods used, the control parameters, the statistical pool drawn from, etc.

It's impossible to categorically prove that echinacea can or cannot shorten the duration of a given illness. There is no way to know with any certainty how long the illness would have lasted in a given subject, without the use of echinacea. For myself and my family, I choose to look at it subjectively-- I don't force my children to use the herbal remedies I myself feel are effective, so when they come down with a virus (as they did this past week), and each of the children seems to remain ill for a predictable amount of time (3-4 days in this case), yet *I* use the echinacea remedy and my illness only lasts for *2* days... I can justifiably assume that the echinacea made a difference. If I have repeated this scenario enough times throughout the course of many years' parenting to see the same results, I feel that is proof enough of its effectiveness.

Even if echinacea has NO redeemable properties whatsoever, there is of course the placebo effect. If I *think* it's helping, it *is* helping. ;)

I agree completely that much care should be taken when self-medicating with herbs and other natural remedies during pregnancy and breastfeeding. ;)

kangato2roos

I would love to third or fourth the Mucinex, but I just can't bring myself to do it after that last paragraph in your first post. Mucinex works. It really does. BUT... well... it can leave some people with nasty side effects.

You said medications like Claritin leave you jittery, well Mucinex might do the same. You can try it if you want, it might give you no side effects, but make sure to try it on a day you don't have to do anything at all. I can't take Mucinex at all, regardless of how well it works, because it gives me horrible vertigo. I got tired of smashing into stuff because I had no balance or sense of my center of gravity at all. It's like spending 24/7 with the feeling you get when you watch a wave wash back into the ocean over your feet at the beach.

I also can't take Claritin. It, of all things, gives me an allergic reaction. I break out in hives and a rash. Yes, my immune system is just that whacked. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC