Tiny baby, no infant supports?

kitkatkc

Haven't been here in a while, but we are in an interesting situation and I need help pretty quick.

Short story: we have been trying to adopt baby 4 and were called Wednesday with an immediate placement. Baby was born via emergency c-section, and weighed 4lb 11oz at birth. I don't have his exact weight currently. He was 17"
We have a graco snugride, but NO inserts for it. The seat is rated for 5lbs, and baby Jake will likely be released from the hospital soon. We are a 10 hour drive from home in a relatively rural area. There is wal-mart, and a TRU about 20 minutes away. I was looking at the seat online, and the inserts that come with the seat appear to really just support the head, so can I just use receiving blankets around his head?
Is there anything that I can/should do if there is space between his body and where the crotch strap is?
If they release him from the hospital at under 5lbs, can I use the seat if the straps are below his shoulders, or do I need a seat specifically rated for babies under 5 lbs?
In all the chaos and legal hoops we are dealing with right now, I am trying to find the best, safest way to make a 10 hr car trip with this tiny one!

ADS

nannykates

Congatulations!! I think I would pick up a keyfit just for the ease of mind since it will have the inserts is rated from 4 lbs and fits littles well. Especially with a drive that long ahead of you you don't want to feel uncomfortable about the seat, ten hours is a long time for any baby or new parent in the car.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Congratulations!!! That is fantastic news for your family!

If they discharge below 5lbs, you really need a car seat rated for 4 lbs, or whatever the weight is.

It is highly unlikely that 22lbs version Snugride will fit. In the chance that the baby is 5 lbs, you can use rolled receiving blankets on each side of the baby. You would add them after buckling him into the seat, they wouldn't go under the harness, but along his side from head to buttox. If there is a gap at the crotch strap, you can use a rolled washcloth in that space to help keep him from slouching down. Those tiny white washcloths at the hospital are my favorite to use since they can fold so narrow.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
If you want to look at new seats, I would look at the Graco Snugride 30 and the Evenflo Embrace 35 for seats in the $80-120 range. Make sure to get one with a front adjuster (a single strap at the baby's feet that tightens the harness) if you can, it makes it a little easier to use for most people. The Chicco Keyfit has never failed me to be a good seat for tiny babies. It is a little more pricey in the $150-$190 range.

All of these seats start at 4 lbs.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Yes. I forget it has a 4lbs rating.

Also, all but the Chicco can normally be found at most Walmart and Target stores. Target does carry the Chicco, though mine is normally sold out of them outside of the travel system.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Would a Safety 1st Comfy Carry work? walmart.com shows one for $69.

Yep, but the OP should make sure it's the Elite or Elite Plus so that it has the front harness adjust. Although looking at the WM site, it's hard to tell if the brown Nova pattern has a front harness adjuster, so I'd skip that one.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yep, but the OP should make sure it's the Elite or Elite Plus so that it has the front harness adjust. Although looking at the WM site, it's hard to tell if the brown Nova pattern has a front harness adjuster, so I'd skip that one.

If it's an "Elite" or Elite Plus" it has a front adjust. Also the brand name attached to these is "Safety 1st." If you get a "Cosco Comfy Carry" it probably has a rear adjust. On the other hand, you can never trust store websites or shelf labels; so the best thing is to actually look at the seat before you buy it.

My Burlington Coat Factory / Baby Depot carries the Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite.

Another seat you can go for is a Safety 1st Onboard or Onboard Air. Those seats also go down to 4 lbs. There's one version of the Onboard that only goes down to 5 lbs, but I rarely ever see it for sale anymore. Just be aware that it exists, just in case. All the Air versions go down to 4 lbs, and they come with really nice preemie inserts.

For your drive home, I would recommend you not try to make all 10 hours in one day with a preemie or low birthweight baby. Or frankly any other very very fresh newborn. You're going to need to stop very frequently and get that baby out of the car seat.

And, finally, a huge CONGRATULATIONS on your placement! :D:love:

kitkatkc

Ok, a little more info. It is not a SR 22, it is either the 30, so it is rated for 4 lbs. phew on that! With the adoption funds, I don't think we could have afforded a new car seat!

They have not done the car seat challenge on him yet, they are maybe going to do it tonight, we are not for sure whether he will be discharged tomorrow or Monday!
BM was on methadone, so he is being arched very carefully for withdraw, and I think that the nurses are actually bumping up his score to keep him here longer! Love the nurses, they are really versed on car seats, talking about not putting anything under him, how the straps should fit and everything. All stuff I know, but good that they are giving everyone that info!

We will NOT be making the trip in one day even. Because we need to get an ICPC to take him home across state lines, we will most likely be doing 3 hours Monday, then when we are cleared to leave the state we will break up the remaining 7 between two days. We have our other three kids with us, so we stop a lot to run around anyway!

I am more thankful than ever for my minivan... We had no idea we were going to pick him up, it was an immediate placement situation. So, four car seats... I guess I won't be carpooling with the neighbors any time soon! (Though it would be a good excuse to buy Radians I guess ;)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
That is great! I'm glad you have such awesome nurses. Here, at our highest level nicu in Arkansas, all nurses have had, at the least, a four hour advocacy class. Most are certified technicians. It is very important to make sure these babies go home safely. So excited for your family!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC