Question Third row in a wagon...a poll

Would you use the seat? If so, which was is safer?

• No, not under any circumstances.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Yes, with a backless booster.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, without a booster.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

cevamal

After this thread I have one more question.

Here's the seat:

IMG_0620.JPG

Technically it's illegal in VA to put a child under 8 (under 9?) there. The law requires a carseat or booster, and boosters aren't "properly installed" if used in a RF seat which again makes it illegal.

IF you had a 5-8yo child who fit properly in the seat:

To be able to fit in an adult seat belt the child must: be tall enough to sit without slouching, keep his/her back against the vehicle seat back, keep his/her knees completely bent over the edge of the seat, keep his/her feet flat on the floor, and be able to stay comfortably seated this way. Further, the lap belt must fit low and tight across the upper thighs, and the shoulder belt should rest over the center of the shoulder through the center of the chest.

Would you use it for occasional use? With or without a backless booster? For purposes of discussion the child fits in the seat w/o a booster, I'm curious which you think is safer.

(We don't pick up the car until tomorrow, hence the academic discussion. :))

ADS

cookie123

I didn't vote. I would use it on a child old enough to not use a child seat but also big enough to fit correctly in the seat belt.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I honestly don't know what I would do.

If I had no choice but to put a kid in that seat or in the front, and the child ABSOLUTELY fit correctly in the rear seat (but was under the legal age to ride without a restraint), I would probably put the kid in the back.

If the child didn't fit properly, I don't know what I would do. I don't see how misusing a booster seat would make it "more legal," though it MIGHT make it more SAFE (which would be more important).

Unless the seatbelts are adjustable, I can't imagine the seat fitting a wide range of children--it seems like it would be more of a hit-or-miss thing, especially with the seat looking as wide as it does. (Or if the particular kids do fit NOW, will they still in six months? A year or two?)

cevamal

I didn't vote. I would use it on a child old enough to not use a child seat but also big enough to fit correctly in the seat belt.

I'm only asking about kids under 8, so in that case you'd vote "no, not at all". Sorry, I didn't make that terribly clear!

I'm only asking about kids under 8, so in that case you'd vote "no, not at all". Sorry, I didn't make that terribly clear!

Thanks. That made it much clearer.

I voted no. I wouldn't stick a young kid back there. I'd cram an older person back there in hopes their more mature body could handle any crash forces. Yes, that seat is RF which should be safer, but I'm just not comfortable with those kinds rear facing seats in general.

cevamal

If the child didn't fit properly, I don't know what I would do. I don't see how misusing a booster seat would make it "more legal," though it MIGHT make it more SAFE (which would be more important).

You caught me before my ninja edit. :D I had meant to say "more safe". That said, I think having a (misused) booster would make it less likely to appear illegal to a cop who didn't know booster's aren't designed/tested for RF.

Unless the seatbelts are adjustable, I can't imagine the seat fitting a wide range of children--it seems like it would be more of a hit-or-miss thing, especially with the seat looking as wide as it does. (Or if the particular kids do fit NOW, will they still in six months? A year or two?)

How is that different from a backless booster in any other seat? I'm asking--not arguing. I've never used a backless booster and have only very rarely used even a high-backed booster.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
How is that different from a backless booster in any other seat? I'm asking--not arguing. I've never used a backless booster and have only very rarely used even a high-backed booster.

Not all boosters fit all kids, either. Some are great for taller kids, some for shorter kids, some for wider or skinnier kids, etc. Also, we tend to recommend HBB with adjustable belt guides, which helps with the fit of the seatbelt.

It's very likely that a, say, 5-year-old would fit great on that seat, but a 7-year-old wouldn't. Or vice-versa. Or one 5-year-old will, and another won't. Without having the ability to adjust things, there are too many variables that make it unlikely to fit a wide range of kids, IMO. But I haven't seen it in person, played with it, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC