The Supernanny?

kfelaco

Did anyone just finish watching the Supernanny right now? In the closing credit sequence, they show the kids riding in the car, singing songs. The boy is sitting in a backless booster, with the shoulder belt BEHIND his back! :eek: And considering the boy's level of non-compliance (as demonstrated in the episode), he should be in a 5 pt harness.....I should write to ABC and point out the bad example.....

ADS

vamom

I did not see that he was in a booster, but I was really upset that he had the belt behind his back (not to mention a few other things) and for the first time ever I have fired a letter off to the supernanny website. I thinmk supernanny is great on some points but there seems to be so much about complete and total domination of the kids...

This family was pretty scary, and I would suspect that they don't give a crap about carseats. I mean mom beat on the kids and stuffed soap in their mouth because her mom did it so I am sure that she would apply this same logic to carseat use, kwim?

I hope supernanny recommended some counseling for this family and put them in touch with folks to help with the anger in this house. I wish I had mentioned that in my letter too - shoot.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I saw it too.

The boy was NOT in a backless booster. They showed him in the beginning and at the end. Also there was a 3 yr old in the house. It never showed what that little girl was riding in.

I think we should contact Oprah and have some mom's who have lost kids or had kids severly injured because they were not in correctly. Then have some mom's whos seats did work right. Also have CPST, AAP, NHTSA people on there showing the right ways to do things and where to go to checks.

Then maybe Oprah would give out seats to everyone in the audience---but they have to have them checked or something.

Susan

kfelaco

Susan,

That's a great idea for an Oprah show! It'd be very powerful to have parents who've lost children from improper CR installations speak to America about their experiences.

And I only caught the end sequence and it was quick at that-I guess the backless booster was wishful thinking on my part.....:(

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I think Oprah would get behind the idea. Especially if we tell her the misuse rates. She doesn't like when things are not done right for children.

Now who's pitching this idea?

Susan

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oprah -- ya know, I think that's a fabulous idea :)

When Leila was born I was in an online mommies group ... we got together in DC for the Breast Cancer Walk & one of us wrote in the Oprah about it: they got on! I didn't go & I didn't even see it, though, because I haven't had TV in a decade, LOL :rolleyes: (we just rent videos)

But, if someone were to explain the issue & point out various media misuses I bet Oprah would at least be receptive to the idea even if takes a long time to really roll.

scatterbunny

I know Supernanny has been written before about this kind of thing. Nothing is ever done. :rolleyes: Supernanny herself never buckles up in her car.

CarSeatPoncho

I KNOW!

My DH and I were watching the show and as soon as we saw those kids, he turned to me and said, "You've got to go on that board and tell them!"

I could not believe that they were not in any kind of child restraint system. Not a booster, not a carseat, nothing.

That family was scary for a lot of reasons! I felt a little sorry for the mom.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC