TFP insert and another question!

kappel11

I guess we need a new truck! My husband would love to hear that!!! :p
We really only have the kids in this truck for one trip a year when we haul the boat on vacation out of town. We went this year with dd7 in a hbbooster and ds1 in his keyfit.
If all else fail we could drive the van separately That would not be my choice with gas prices and it would put me alone with both kids for hours. BUT their safety is obviously more important.
Any input on the crotch strap pad? Oh and do I leave the top pillow in? Thanks!

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Tell me exactly what type of truck you have. Can you post a photo of the truck? I have done tons of research on trucks because dh wanted one and we have 4 kids who need to ride with both of us. We have owned 4 trucks in just 5y. He upgrades often. Drives me a little crazy, but we always come out ahead.

We have had a F250 2001 full size extended cab truck that had a airbag shut off with a key. I think our full-size extended cab 2007 F150 did too. So having a shut off switch doesn't mean it is a compact truck.

Dorothy

kappel11 said:
I bought it from diapers.com for 179.99

The truck is 1998 chevy silverado extended cab with three doors and two bench seats. It does have a slot to turn off the passenger air bag.
Thank you!!!

From the OP...

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Thanks. I hadn't reread the whole thing.

That is a full size we went to buy one similar a long time ago. It had a full front bench and I had 2 rf at the time. One fit great in the middle back, but I couldn't get a good install rf outboard.

I would try the baby rf in the back middle. Put your oldest outboard. He must be outboard to have a lap/shoulder belt. What booster does he have? If the turbo make sure the whole thing fits on the seat.

Your truck is a doable situation. You don't have to have a different truck.

kappel11

Thanks! That's good bc we just bought our van a year ago and a new truck won't be had for a while!! :).
Yes, our dd is in a turbo. I will double check how that fits too. As far as the tfp in the truck it will only work while ds is rf because there are no top tethers. So we will have some time when we will be with seats in the van only.
Thank you all!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Are you in the US or Canada? In the US tethers are recommended. You can get them add to your truck before he turns ff. You can use the truefit (and most seats) without a tether ff.

If you are in Canada you MUST use a tether ff. You can still get them added before he turns ff.

The turbo has a rule that it must be 100% on the seat. Graco is the only seats that have that rule. If it is not all on the seat, just get a different booster. Just stay away from dorel (cosco, eddie bauer, maxi cosi, safety 1st). They require head support behind them, so if you don't have headsupport you can't use them.

kappel11

We are in the us. I thought it was required when I read instructions. Thanks for all of the info! I really appreciate all of this help! :)

Pixels

Ok. I see. And, again, I'm not being argumentative. I'm just learning.

So, do ALL cars, then, have more than 720 mm of room? Some cars have very, very small back seats. There are some sports coupes, older model compacts, and even the third rows of some SUVs that I've been in that were very tight fits. I understand you are talking about head excursion room, not leg room, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that there would be less space in a full-size ext cab back seat.

So, I guess to better understand: How do they measure the 720 mm?

Thank you for your patience in explaining this.

ETA- I called LC this morning to ask for clarification on their manual concerning ext cab pickups. At first, they said as long as 80% of the base is on the seat, its ok. But after asking about HE, my question has been forwarded to their engineers. I'm am waiting for a call back.

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

Tiny third rows wouldn't qualify the vehicle for an airbag shutoff switch, because there is still the second row. Without going back and rereading the standard, I believe that both second and third rows would have to be too small (less than 720 mm).

As for other vehicles (compact cars, etc), they fall under the same 720 mm rule. If there is less than 720 mm of space, the manufacturer may provide a shutoff switch. They are not required to provide a shutoff. There is a "sunset" clause in the law so that unless they change the law, in a year or two there will not be shutoff switches allowed at all.

The 720 mm for vehicles is measured level with the top of the seat cushion, from the front of the back seatback to the back of the front seatback. So they ignore any recline of either seat. The 720 mm for car seats is measured from a point four inches behind the seat bight, and the forward limit is a vertical line.

msg221

That stupid crotch strap cover drove me nuts! I finally bought some velcro strips at Wal-Mart (adhesive kind) and stuck one part on the crotch buckle and the other on the inside of the crotch strap cover and it works perfectly! I even washed it and it is still sticking just fine!

Pixels

I have no input on the crotch strap pad. I know it's possible to get one if you call for it. Is it coming with the seat now? I don't have one.

You can leave the top pillow in or take it out, whatever you prefer. I don't like it, so I took it out.

Stelvis

msg221 said:
That stupid crotch strap cover drove me nuts! I finally bought some velcro strips at Wal-Mart (adhesive kind) and stuck one part on the crotch buckle and the other on the inside of the crotch strap cover and it works perfectly! I even washed it and it is still sticking just fine!

That's a good idea. They really skimped on that stupid crotch pad.

rxmommy

Is it necessary to use the crotch strap cover?? I hated that thing. It's stuck in the passenger seat pocket. I haven't had a time where I have worried about the buckle being hot against her skin like the other girls' seats.

kappel11

Updat: we called Diapers.com and they are willing to do a return or exchange with the possibility of a newer seat, but not guaranteed. Ugh.
179.99 for a two year old true fit premier. Would you just keep it?

Pixels

If you don't need the seat immediately, then I would try exchanging it. Two years old is a quarter of the seat's life.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC