TF Crotch strap and a bigger child...

clarinetb

Wondering if anyone else has run into this or has any ideas! We are currently using a TF FF for my 4 year old, she is around 42 lbs, 42". Our 'usual' seat is a Nautilus, but I'm leaving that with my mum who looks after her during the day and using their TF as I'm more comfortable in her ability to install the GN if they go out together.
Anyways, the TF is great for her, seems to be lots of space, comfortable, etc. EXCEPT for the crotch strap. She says it is too tight. It does seem very close to her crotch, I did double check that we had it on the outer setting, which we do. Where she thinks it is okay leaves it too loose higher up, so I tighten and she starts to complain. On a good day, she insists on hearing me 'click' it to loosen it, so I can lift the adjust but not actually loosen and she is satisfied, if not pleased... other days we have a battle before we can leave :(

Any ideas? It really does look a lot closer to the crotch than in the GN. My mum said to just switch them back if it is bugging her, but I'm not really comfortable in my mum's ability to install the TF (mostly because of the lock-offs and the tether has proven tricky in a couple cars...)

Thanks!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've heard of boys finding the crotch tight but girls are usually ok and I know even my own 4yr old boy who's about 36 or 37lbs and around 41 or 42" tall has been ok.

How tight are you getting the harness and where are you checking for tightness? Any possibility that it is actually too tight when she complains?

clarinetb

If I loosen it to suit her comfort, you can definitely pinch the harness too much. She was right at the second to top slot, so I tried moving her up to the top harness slot and that seems a bit better, just pulls her 'flat' a bit more if that makes any sense, rather than encouraging slouching. I try not to get it too tight, because I hear about it down the road :p She is a bit sensitive to things to that might be the reason this is a particular issue. I find it a real hard balance to get her in secure but not have her freaking out...

I could definitely see this seat being an issue for little boys with where the crotch strap is!

jess71903

Ambassador
I find it easy to get the TF harness too tight. I'm not sure why- maybe it's the way it comes from way behind the shell due to the no-rethread harness. Anyway, make sure you are getting it *just* tight enough using the pinch test.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC