Switching seat?

U

Unregistered

Would you put your newly 2 yo child in a nautilus? DS is 32 lbs and just about as tall in height. He has the brutal blvd but I'm not really liking it much. The headings are up so high and have to be for the staps to be at or above his shoulders (yes he's FF). Also his head constantly slumps forward when he sleeps.
We are leaving on a roadtrip soon and I'm contemplating swapping out the blvd for a nautilus if I can find a good deal.

Would you change seats?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd change seats, but to a taller rear facing seat. It'd be both safer, and more comfortable for sleeping (his back will be reclined and his legs not dangling).

What size shirt does he wear?

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would also recommend rear-facing as its much safer AND more comfortable. However, if you don't plan on doing that, then yes, the Nautilus will likely fit well. Some people do complain about head-slump with the Nautilus, though, so be aware of that.

I'd third the idea of rear facing. It's exponentially safer, I have an almost 3 year old rear facing and he is very comfortable, his head never slumps when he is asleep and he is in a BLVD. He actually complained when I turned him forward facing (just as a test) for 3 minute drive that "his legs hurt" from dangling when forward facing. A nautilus is a better fit for an older child, it will likely work, but we tend to like children 3 years old at minimum, ideally 4 years or so in a forward facing seat, unless they are a remarkably large child.

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

MommyShannon

The nautilus sits very upright. I think sleeping would be worse than the blvd. A Complete Air or radian RF would be a lot more comfortable on a road trip and have lots more legroom than the blvd plus will last FF for a long time later.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all your replies! I think the nautilus is out of the question based on how straight it is and head slumping issues (I forgot about that, but remembered reading about it). I know it's, technically, safer for him to be RF, but we are going on a 17 hour road trip and I think it's going to be so much better/easier for him to be FF.

We do have a EFTA in dh's car that I'm thinking of using instead. It has the wider shoulder/head area and naturally reclines more. IDK - I might play with it a bit still.
One of the biggest things that bug me about the Blvd is how the headwings are so high. Yes, his head is still between them, but it's almost like the bottom of the head wings are near the bottom of his ears. Not more centered. But if lowered, the seat straps go under his shoulders. So, not sure what's up with that. I've never encountered it with a seat before.

Oh, and Wendy, he's in a 2T. He's just a big kid! 90+ percentile for height and weight.

Thanks again!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd bring the EFTA and be ready to put it rear facing if he says his back hurts, or he's uncomfortable sleeping, or slumping forward while he sleeps (which isn't a concern rear or forward facing at his age, just a comfort issue). My kids always did great rear facing on long trips. They're far more comfortable without dangling legs, and reclined. It's the difference between taking a long trip in a reclined lazy boy versus a padded ladder back chair. Plus things that drop rear facing are not going to end up on the floor. They'll likely either stay on his lap or fall to the seat next to him.

Wendy

MommyShannon

Oh, yeah. Exactly what Wendy said. We turned our older kids early before knowing the difference in safety. We did go on several long trips while they were young and FF. We went on a 12 hour trip a few months ago. My then almost 2 year old was so much easier to have RFing than when the others were her age FF on trips. She only lost toys if she chose to throw them plus we could sit beside her if she was tired of being in the car and talk and play with her easily since she was facing us. Turning your head around in the front seat to talk to and entertain a child in the back is a PAIN! Sitting beside a FF isn't much better either. if you allow eating in the car, I'd just sit beside him while he has a snack. That's still much better than trying to watch him from the front. My older kids complained that they wanted to lay back like she was. I know I really wanted to. As far as FF seats, the Frontier is my favorite for our older kids traveling, but it would have been frustrating having DD2 in one.

Brianna

Just another personal experience: J has always been rear facing for long trips and he's quite happy. Sleeping is easier, handing him toys is easier, and he's much more comfortable. His last long trip was at 2 1/2 and he was still just fine rear facing :) He's over the 97th percentiles for height and weight. Come to think of it, his last trip was in the EFTA! He had no complaints at all.

Here he is this past weekend- he fell asleep on the way home from the airport
2012-06-02_15-32-24_760.jpg

:yeahthat:. there are SO many other advantages to RF on top of the safety. The way Wendy put it with the lazy boy recliner vs. ladder backed chair is such a good analogy. When RF the child's weight isn't concentrated on their bottom only, which we all know is uncomfortable for long trips in even the most padded seats, it is spread out over their back too so they don't become restless so quickly.

I would buy a very padded baby mirror and attach it to the headrest of the vehicle seat he is in so that you can see each other, give him a sticker book and crayons (Crayola Twistables are awesome for the car because they don't break and they are hard to eat) and he should be a happy, and safe, camper.

Here's Kayden RF, taken a few days ago, and he is very close to turning 3. He will RF until atleast 4. His sister was RF until almost 6.

Last edited:

Ninetales

I would love it if my daughter could rear face longer. She's 27 months and wears a 5T shirt but still fits RF for now. I dread long car trips once I have to turn her. I really don't get what's supposed to be easier about it.

Ninetales said:
I would love it if my daughter could rear face longer. She's 27 months and wears a 5T shirt but still fits RF for now. I dread long car trips once I have to turn her. I really don't get what's supposed to be easier about it.

HOLY TORSO! 5T??

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I would also only consider rearfacing a child that young, regardless of size. My 4.5 year old is still RFing in a complete air and has TONS of room. Yes, he is small for his age, but would be HUGE for a 2 year old ;)

Marvin711

Just want to second some of the things already said! ;) We go on lots of long road trips since all our family lives far away. For my kids rear facing has always been better for travel. My middle daughter still requests to rf when we travel, she is 4 and has been FF for a while now but still fits RF too. This is saying a lot since RF means she can't see the movie screen so I have to believe it is WAY more comfortable for her.
If you decide to stay FF, maybe you could trade seat for a classic Marathon, those seem to travel well!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC