Suggestions for RF infant/convertable with 2 radians

dimsumdaddy

I need to get 3 across in a Subaru Impreza wagon. My wife has an SUV (RX330) and we are getting 3 across using a radian. However, since we both work, we both need to be able to transport all 3 of our kids.

Our 3rd isn't here yet... he's due in May. Other kids: 4.5y/28lbs, 1.5y/20 lbs. For my wife's SUV we've got RF Peg Perego Primo Viagio (infant), FF radian 65 (4 yr old), and RF Britax Roundabout (1.5 yr old).

The problem is my Impreza. By the time #3 comes, I estimate #2 will be 20-22 lbs, and will be just big enough for FF; although not as ideal as RF. Both the RF Roundabout and the infant carrier interfere with the radian: the RF's lower leg side bolster interfere with the radian's torso wide bolsters. However, the roundabout in FF is find because the radian goes under the roundabout side bolsters.

I get the feeling the Marathon will be about the same as the roundabout.

As a last resort, I will put the 4.5 yr old in a booster in the front seat (airbags disabled) but prefer not to.

I'm willing to buy new chairs.

I've been reading many threads here with similar situations (civic, corolla, jetta, etc) but not exactly my situation. My problem is that RF radian does not work because of the lack of leg room.

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Well you have a Radian, so you know about them. That would be my 1st suggestion on 3 across. Your 4.5 yr old is only 28 lbs. I defibately do not recommend a booster for her. If you *had* to put 4.5 yr old in the front seat with airbag disabled and seat moved as far back as possible in a 5 point harness it would be more acceptable as long as it was only an occasional thing.

Yu could try another Radian put 2 Radians outboard RF if possible and buy a infant seat that will fit between the 2. Here you will find a RFing albulm of older kids. They are actually quite comfy that way.

You may also want to try putting the Roundabout FF center and pit a Radian outboard for the 1.5 yr old. I am not sure of the harness height on the Radians if it would be low enough for a NB, but you could RF a Radian for the NB as well outboard, but I would rather see the NB in the center.

The Marathon is larger than the Roundabout, so you may have the same problems.

Common car seat measurements may also help you to decide on a configuration that will be acceptable.

If you have a BRU or baby specialty store near your best bet may be to go and try different harnessed seats out.

Sorry I am not more of a help.

daniele_ut

What year is your Impreza wagon? I have an '01 and have found in nearly impossible to install most seats in the center because of the long buckle stalk.

dimsumdaddy

My Impreza is an 06. I tested the radian in the center with the two LATCH and used the belt straps for outboard chairs. That seemed to work ok. Because I was using LATCH, the buckles didn't come into play and could be tucked away.

How about RF Radian, FF Radian, RF Radian? Would that work?

Unfortunately no... because I'm 6' tall, my driver seat is pushed all the way back. In order to install a RF radian on that side, I have to remove the extender boot and the radian sits at more of a vertical 70 degree angle and the high top of the radian touches the back of my headrest which I'm not sure is ok.

Also... are radians good for infants? The radians seem very flat seated (as opposed to bucket) which is good for older kids but for an infant that flops around, I'm not sure.

lovinwaves

My Impreza is an 06. I tested the radian in the center with the two LATCH and used the belt straps for outboard chairs. That seemed to work ok. Because I was using LATCH, the buckles didn't come into play and could be tucked away.

Have you checked your vehicles owner's manual on this? Most vehicles do not allow you to use LATCH in the middle position.

crunchierthanthou

Here's a thread with pictures of when I was trying to do three across in a Subaru-

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=31148

It's not exactly the same situation as you are in (slightly different model, different seats), but it should give you a good idea of what's possible.

In addition to not allowing center LATCH, Subarus have notoriously long buckle stalks. That generally makes for a difficult Radian install.

I would try-

4 yo ff, radian
16 mo rf, Britax convertible
new baby, rf radian

I think your best bet is one Radian ff behind the driver (to accomodate your height), one radian rf in the center (to accomodate the tall shell) and one rf Britax convertible passenger side outboard. The Britax convertible can be installed a bit more upright than the Radians. Older children can be as upright at 30 degrees. If you put your middle child there, that should still leave sufficient space for the front seat passenger.

Seatbelts are generally your best bet for three across, provided you can get a good install (the outboard radian is going to be the biggest trial). You can move the outer carseats a bit closer to the doors and leave more room in the center with seatbelts than you can with the lower anchors.

dimsumdaddy

Hmmm... thanks for the heads up... I'll check into this.

And Crunchy... thanks for the link. Good info. The puzzle continues.

Yeehah.. I'm getting closer. We currently only possess 1 radian, so I can only test with one.

But today I moved the Graco CarGo to the middle (my 06 Impreza manual says not to use LATCH in this position). This worked, and I got a pretty good fit.

I put the radian RF outboard passenger side (it doesn't fit RF on drivers because I'm 6') and using the belts instead of LATCH, I got a pretty good fit. This did require that the passenger front seat be pushed all the way forward (which my wife hates even though she's on 5' tall).

The last test is final fit with the Peg Perego infant carrier... which looks like there is enough room for.

I still need to test the radian in the center with belts. It appears that my center belts (in the Impreza) are different than Crunchy's Outback (I assume this is the Legacy Outback) so even though the buckle stalks are long, the Impreza's are on short belts that come from the crack of the seat. Here's a picture... for neatness, I think they stuffed the stalks into the cracks, they actually extend out a few inches on loose belts.

2006.subaru.impreza.20077147-E.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC