Suggestions for 3 car seats in an 05 Dodge Ram

Stacey

Our van is not fit for the 20 hour drive east so we are taking the truck. We will have Myself, my spouse, 13 year old boy, 8 year old boy in a Montery or Graco TB, 6 year old boy FF in a RAdian and 19 month old RF in a Radian.

Can any car seat go in the front on the middle? It is a folding seat that has a lap belt and I'm not very comfortable having my 13 year old in the lap belt. The RF'ing can't be in back of the driver because he needs leg room. Sucks to have it in back of the passenger for when we switch drivers. Can't be in the middle because that prohibits use of the front middle seat.

I wish I could just go buy a new van :(

ADS

mommycat

Do you have your manual? Our GMC truck does not allow any child restraints in that front center seat but I am not sure about Dodge. Some do - I think Ford??? So it's a good idea to check the vehicle manual.

Would your 19mo fit in a Scenera? You could pick one up for not too much $$ and make positioning easier than with the Radian.

The following is based on absolute necessity of taking the truck and assuming I was choosing for my own family, because really truly I would rent or borrow a vehicle that can seat all of you safely, or try to postpone the trip. I am not saying you should do any of these, just throwing out potential seating arrangements to think out loud, I guess:
Whatever you choose, empty out the center console so that it isn't carrying extra weight behind whoever is there.
How tall/heavy are the 8yo and 13yo?
- IF you can't use a seat in the front center AND the 8yo is legal but still smaller I might (not sure though without really thinking about it) consider putting the 8yo in the front with lap belt.
- Or maybe I would choose to put the 6yo in his Radian there, without Safestop obviously, but I dunno because I would really want it to be tethered to reduce head excursion
- I might have me or DH sit in the center and assume the risk of that bad position

What a tough choice! :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC