Split row seat. Ok if it's partially folded down?

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. I have a Honda fit with 60/40 split rear seat. We are taking a trip and I'm hoping to fold down the 40 side and have my daughter ff in the middle seat. When I tried the setup the car seat bottom is fully on the seat but the width of the top portion is sticking out the side about an inch or so. Is that a problem. It's a radian r100. I hope that all makes sense.
Thanks, niki
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

bubbaray

Bumping this for the night-time crowd.

I don't know the answer, but you could always call Diono and ask them.

Do you have a reason (ie., another child) for not using the outboard position?

U

Unregistered

Bumping this for the night-time crowd.

I don't know the answer, but you could always call Diono and ask them.

Do you have a reason (ie., another child) for not using the outboard position?

Thanks.
We are taking our first long road trip with dog and kiddo. My husband is 6'4" and needs the seat all the way back to drive. I really don't want to be the only driver!
Posted via Mobile Device

1mommy

Does the seat lock once folded down or could it fling upwards in an accident? if not my worry could be that your daughters leg could be caught in the path of the seat if an accident were to occur, what about putting your daughter behind the passenger side, you, and just leaving the driver side seat up but your husband could be scooted all the way back? The dog doesn't need much leg room so he can have the middle seat in a harness?

arly1983

You may also want to check your vehicle manual as well. Mine specifically prohibits the middle row being folded while the vehicle is in motion. I had wanted to leave the 40 part of the 60/40 split down on a 2013 GMC Acadia. :(

Niki

You guys make some good points. I'll double check that the manual doesn't say anything about driving while the seat is folded flat and I'll see if it locks in. Thanks!

CMeMeC

You may also want to check your vehicle manual as well. Mine specifically prohibits the middle row being folded while the vehicle is in motion. I had wanted to leave the 40 part of the 60/40 split down on a 2013 GMC Acadia. :(

Mine does as well (also GMC). It has a big warning sticker right on the back of the seat. Mine does not lock. Even if the vehicle allows it, I would be very uncomfortable leaving it down unsecured. I would worry that it would fly up in an accident with a child's leg or arm in its path.

jwilliams

You also lose a barrier against projectiles with the seat folded down - presumably the hatch will be full of bags, suitcases, etc.?

I know it's a small car and a tall guy, but check that he isn't keeping the seat over-reclined. He might be able to gain some legroom by having the seat back more upright.

Niki

I did check and it's OK to drive while rear seats are folded and they do not come up unless the lever is used. I have a cargo net to help with keeping things in back and the dog crate will be strapped down. At this point I think I'm covered but I'm probably going to worry anyhow so I may just move her as needed! Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC