Spin-off: Three-across in Ford Focus

BookMama

Senior Community Member
(This is a spin-off/continuation of this thread.)

OP has a GN, Touriva, and wants to get a Radian for her soon-to-be newborn, all in her 2003 Ford Focus. I have a GN, Scenera (similar to Touriva) and Radian so offered to try out a few combinations, since she doesn't have access to a Radian.

Here are the only combinations I could get to work (left to right is driver/middle/passenger):

GN/FF RN/RF RN (newborn recline)

RF Scenera/RF RN (newborn recline)/ FF RN

FF Scenera/FF RN/FF RN

RF RN (3YO recline)/GN/RF RN (newborn recline)

I could not get any combination of Radian/GN/Scenera to fit - the seats are simply too wide and don't puzzle well. I also couldn't get the RN installed RF with an angle appropriate for a newborn - rather, I could get it installed, but the vehicle seat had to be ALL the way forward and ALL the way upright. The seat was still quite upright with the recline for the 3YO.

I had a hard time getting the RF Radian solid in the middle, especially when I tried for less recline, which baby will eventually need. Honestly, my recommendation would be to buy a Radian for the oldest, use the Touriva for the 3YO, and get a Coccoro for the baby. The Coccoro would allow more front-to-back room (i.e. more room for the front seat passengers) as well as more side-to-side room for an eventual boostered kid. When baby outgrows the Coccoro (sooner than other seats), OP you can sell it and purchase a new seat that will last her longer.

I also took a few pictures.

RF Radian - newborn recline. This may even be a bit upright for a newborn, and I still I had to move the drivers seat all the way forward.
5.jpg

RF Radian - 3YO recline. You can see how much more room this recline allows for the driver - I could have moved the drivers seat back several inches once I changed the recline of the Radian.
6.jpg

I took this picture to illustrate the problems that a boostered child would have- the buckles are at least 4" behind the car seats. It's a very tight squeeze and would be extremely difficult for a kid to buckle.
4.jpg

RF Scenera (3YO recline)/RF Radian (newborn recline)/FF Radian
2.jpg

FF Scenera/RF Radian (newborn recline)/FF Radian
3.jpg

ADS

AutumnGoddess

Yours is a 2003 ford focus right? Mines 2006, but its the same length in the back i am assuming, 50 inches. Well, both the radian and coccoro are expensive. I would have to buy the radian first and then the coccoro i think? The Coccoro is $199 the cheapest i have seen and i did look at the baby depot website from Burlington coat factory website and they sell them online, but i don't know in person. I would need to go looking next weekend. I so wished i didn't have to buy a Radian lol

AutumnGoddess

Bookmama, how long do kids last in the Combi Coccoro? Does it also install the same way as most infant car seats/convertibles? Just wondering because i never owned a combi car seat :)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yours is a 2003 ford focus right? Mines 2006, but its the same length in the back i am assuming, 50 inches. Well, both the radian and coccoro are expensive. I would have to buy the radian first and then the coccoro i think? The Coccoro is $199 the cheapest i have seen and i did look at the baby depot website from Burlington coat factory website and they sell them online, but i don't know in person. I would need to go looking next weekend. I so wished i didn't have to buy a Radian lol

Yes, our back seats are the same.

Believe me, I know how expensive car seats are - I'm having to purchase 3 Radians and a Coccoro (or a 4th Radian, haven't decided) and possibly an infant seat (depending on whether I can borrow one) in order to accomodate 3-across in both of our vehicles. I lost my job in February and am still unemployed, so it's not easy for us to squeeze out the money for these seats, but there's simply no alternative because our current car seats are too wide and we can't afford new vehicles.

I'm pretty sure that Keri linked you to a site where you can get the Radian for about $160 after discounts and a Bing rebate. You can get the Coccoro for about $160 from the same site after discounts and Bing cash back. The site offers free shipping on both seats, so after all is said and done you'd pay about $320 for the two seats (less any money you could get for selling your Nautilus).

Bookmama, how long do kids last in the Combi Coccoro? Does it also install the same way as most infant car seats/convertibles? Just wondering because i never owned a combi car seat

I don't know much about the Coccoro - it's a very new seat and I haven't seen one in person yet - but it is pretty small and is likely to be outgrown sooner than other seats. I'm assuming that by the time my baby outgrows it, RF, either we'll have a larger vehicle, or DS will be in just a seatbelt and we'll be able to use a larger car seat for the baby. I think the Coccoro does install a little bit differently - you can probably find some threads on it if you use the search function.

AutumnGoddess

Thanks for the info. I have never heard of Bing cash, so i need to read up on it.
hey well if i can get it for $160 then forget going in person and buying it lol and same with the coccoro but i would like to go to the store just to take a look at it. Im sorry you lost your job and i hope u find one soon. I dont work at all but just my husband so its hard to live off ones paycheck. I appreciate your time and help. Is Bing Cash like a coupon website to get codes and just put them in the website you gave me on Comfort1st?

AutumnGoddess

I really dont understand this whole bing cash back thing. i signed up with my windows live id, i added the two seats and it does not give me any discounts. it either keeps thinking saying "Bing cash transferring to website please wait" or it goes through but it doesnt put any discounts. it says $414.98

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I really dont understand this whole bing cash back thing. i signed up with my windows live id, i added the two seats and it does not give me any discounts. it either keeps thinking saying "Bing cash transferring to website please wait" or it goes through but it doesnt put any discounts. it says $414.98

There's a code on the car seat detail pages that you need to enter to get the 10% off. And here is how Bing works.

AutumnGoddess

There's a code on the car seat detail pages that you need to enter to get the 10% off. And here is how Bing works.

I just dont see the code in the car seat details page. are u talking about the details page on comfort1st.com or bing cash? i read it already and what i understand is you can go through paypal to get your bing cash back. but i thought the percentage comes off before you pay? Sorry im being a pain but i just dont get it. and i see nothing coming off the total price unless i do my own google search for "comfort1st.com coupon codes and then type in the code. but nothing happens through bing cash.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I just dont see the code in the car seat details page. are u talking about the details page on comfort1st.com or bing cash? i read it already and what i understand is you can go through paypal to get your bing cash back. but i thought the percentage comes off before you pay? Sorry im being a pain but i just dont get it. and i see nothing coming off the total price unless i do my own google search for "comfort1st.com coupon codes and then type in the code. but nothing happens through bing cash.

Go to the Bing Cash web site. Click through to the Comfort1st store. On the detail page for the car seats, it says "Limited 10% OFF SALE. Use coupon code "crseatsale" during checkout!" Enter the code during checkout.

But honestly, if your DH is considering a new vehicle, I wouldn't even buy any new seats right now. If you buy a bigger vehicle, your car seat options will open up dramatically, so you may not even need the Radian and the Coccoro - and you do have quite a few months before your baby comes, after all, so it's not as though you need new seats this week.

AutumnGoddess

Go to the Bing Cash web site. Click through to the Comfort1st store. On the detail page for the car seats, it says "Limited 10% OFF SALE. Use coupon code "crseatsale" during checkout!" Enter the code during checkout.

Thanks but i am not seeing the same thing as you. I did go to the bing cash back website. i went to babies and kids, went to comfort1st website. car seats, and then saw a big SALE, but no code any where sorry. But i did put the code you wrote down and i got $377.98. Cheaper then $414:)

AutumnGoddess

But honestly, if your DH is considering a new vehicle, I wouldn't even buy any new seats right now. If you buy a bigger vehicle, your car seat options will open up dramatically, so you may not even need the Radian and the Coccoro - and you do have quite a few months before your baby comes, after all, so it's not as though you need new seats this week.

Yes but, we have Negative Equity on the Ford Focus. we where living in Germany for 2 years before we got sent to Fort Lewis, WA. when we got here we where broke so we had to get a huge huge personal loan and put the car down as collateral. The car is worth less then the total due or loan. so we don't know for sure 100% if we can buy that van or any car. He is going to re-enlist (with a bonus) and use the tax money as a down payment and of course the trade in but nothing is for sure. I dont really agree with putting down 5 grand when i can also use it for things. We are bumping heads on that part.

and all this wont take place until Feb 2010 for taxes and the re-enlistment who knows. Probably around the same time or even after April.

AutumnGoddess

On babycatalog.com i can get both for $321.10 with a discount. But i never heard of that website before and i feel kind of iffy about it. Also the picture for the Radian 65 doesnt have the sunshine kids symbol on the top (the sun) I just wonder why they are selling the Coccoro for $169.00 and Radian $169.00 as well. Anyone ever bought things from them?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC