spica carseat needed

bp2002

I am trying to help some friends find a spica cast carseat. The baby is 1 month old and about 10 lbs. She had surgery today and is set to go home tomorrow. The parents were told her infant seat would be ok. Well, of course, she doesnt fit in the infant seat.

Any ideas where to find a carseat quickly? We are in central MA but willing to travel a bit to get the carseat.

We are lookin into Boston Childrens hospital. but its after 5pm so all offices are closed.

thanks for any help, tips!

ADS

Maedze

The Radian might work because the sides are so low. I know Beth's right hand man at Fisher College has/used to have a Hippo, but I'm not sure if he lends it out, and I'm not sure if he still has it any more anyway. (and a 1 month old probably wouldn't fit properly in it either.)

I think a Radian is probably the best bet.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you can't get a Radian in a brick-and-mortar store, some smaller casted kids can fit in the EFTA because it's so bowl-shaped.

bp2002

Thanks for the tips..

I own a r65 so this might work out fine.. but.. ive never put a spica kiddo in anything but a hippo.. any one have pics of a kiddo in the radian and spica?

the mom is sending me a pic of C so I can get a better idea. Im probably heading down to umass in the morning to fit her in it and teach them to install it in their car..

hope it works!

bp2002

Louisa,

We are in central MA, so a couple of hours from albany.

I am going to try my r65 and hopefully it works to get her home w/o an ambulance. If we are in need of a hippo, I will PM you. Thanks so much!

Murphy's Law

At only a month old and 10 pounds, she should fit in a car bed, but I'm not sure how big the spica cast is or how far apart her legs are. But I'd try that. I'm in central MA and I have one here that I'm willing to loan out. Message me if I can help!

scoutingbear

Last year I helped a foster family (and good friends) fit their 3 m/o (she was TINY...about the size of a "normal" one month old) in a RN65. We ended up padding under her butt with many receiving blankets so she was sitting on something, but between the deep seat and the low sides, she was good to go. I'm really bummed that I didn't take a picture!

capeKO71

Call Shriners maybe, in Springfield... they might know of a resource (they are a full ortho hospital there) Where did she have her surgery? Contact the special needs folks near her (carseat special needs). You could call Linda... what's her last name... the special needs lady who does all the training.

Also - is it possible that she fits OK in a convertible? It depends on how they cast her... but maybe the parents can save a few $ and just go into a convertible... something like the my ride... or maybe something like the radian with no sides.

And not that I would ever suggest putting a 1 year old ff... but sometimes with a spica cast, the legs are cast too long... and they have to go forward. Just a note.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
She's one month and ten pounds -- I don't think FFing is a possibility.

scoutingbear, you had blankets under the child's butt? Were you working with a special-needs tech, or any tech?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
What seats the baby will fit in will depend, in large part, on how the baby was casted. I've seen newborns casted in a lying position where they are perfectly straight and cannot bend at the waist because the cast comes up their nipples. I've seen older kids casted so they are in a semi-reclined sitting position.

If the baby has been casted in a straight (lying) position then the Hippo will work best because it has ramp-shaped cushion inserts that allow you to position the baby in a perfectly straight diagonal line. However, if a Hippo isn't available then you can use folded towels or blankets to fill that gap under the baby in any seat that otherwise accommodates the cast (just make sure it doesn't interfere with the harness placement).

Seats with a deeper seat pan (Radian, True Fit) will allow for more rf leg room if the child has longer legs but that shouldn't be an issue for a newborn who only needs the cast for a month or two. The last newborn in a spica cast that I dealt with went home in a RA and it fit her very nicely.

HTH! Good luck!

childpassengersafety

CPS Technician
Have you tried a medical supply store? When my son needed a hippo seat, they delivered it to the hospital the same day that the nurses called, we just had to call early to give them enough time to deliver it. I know the hippo seats are in short supply but it may be worth a try.

bp2002

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I havent personally seen C. I will see how she is casted in the morning.
The parents have sent pictures tho. C def isnt casted straight. her legs are bent to where her knees are closer together than her ankles if that makes sense. Im thinking the recline of the radian when rear facing will actually be helpful .. from the looks of things im hoping her legs come up enough to get her feet outside the low radian sides.

I have access to carbeds thru my nicu, but I know she wont fit in one Ive seen. I have some numbers for boston childrens hosp lower extremities groups. I will also look up some medical supply stores in worcester.

The baby is at umass in worcester.

i have to run a super quick errand before a store closes, but i will be around tonight to continue this convo. thanks so much everyone!

bp2002

I do not know if they have bought a convertible seat yet, but im sure they are not against doing so if thats what their daughter needs. They are personal friends of mine, but since ive been sick I havent seen them alot recently, and I was unable to attend her baby shower.

I do not know what infant seat she has, or convertible (if any).
I know mom drives a subie.. im not sure they have a stroller that works right now either. they have a snap n go, but that wont work if C cant go in her infant seat, and a volo which doesnt recline.. I might be loaning them my stroller too. If my radian works, they are welcome to have it until baby is done with all castings. It sits in my basement and is my "emergency" seat.

*crossing fingers that radian works*

I actually dont know any CPST in worcester. (other than those around worcester I've met thru the board) I was trained in FL, and did my carseat stuff in Boston once I moved here. I only was informed if this problem bc the babys grandma is a nurse, and knows im a baby nurse and thought I might have some ideas. I am super happy they called and are concerned about making sure C has a safe situation.

thanks again for all the help/suggestions. I knew I could count on C-S.org. We rock.

scoutingbear

scoutingbear, you had blankets under the child's butt? Were you working with a special-needs tech, or any tech?

If you count all the help I got on here, then yes, I was working with several techs. This baby was casted due to a spiral fracture of the femur. There is an old thread from Jan or Feb I believe and it is what was told to me by the techs via e-mail at a children's hospital south of here and confirmed via c-s.org techs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC