So... what do you do about an escape artist?

urchin_grey

My nephew has discovered how to unbuckle his chest clip and pull his arms out. :rolleyes: We've been working on this for a few weeks now but no amount of pulling over, going straight home with no "x" is making a difference. He's with our mom right now and she just messaged me a bit earlier and said he did it in their truck too. :thumbsdown:

So what does one do? I can't ALWAYS go/stay home and usually its just me, DS, and DN. We have other seats that he can't unbuckle, but he's too heavy to RF in them. Oh, and he's in a MR and he'll be 3 in August...

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
What would I do about an escape artist? I would cry!
I don't know, maybe put sticky velcro on the chest clip so he doesn't want to play with it? Or would that make him want to play with it even more? There's gotta be some way to cover it so that he can't get his little fingers on it.

urchin_grey

That works sometimes... I noticed the day his mom's BF gave him a Buzz Lightyear doll, he was occupied the while ride. :p

Its actually usually when he's PO'd that he tried to get out. But sometimes he just does it quietly (when he SEEMS like he's just laying there) and we don't know until he leans up or we get to where we're going.

I try to check at each stop light though to be sure he's still in. :whistle:

I do have a nifty cubby hole in the 3rd row... Maybe I'll fill up with nifty stuff for him to look at.

urchin_grey

What would I do about an escape artist? I would cry!
I don't know, maybe put sticky velcro on the chest clip so he doesn't want to play with it? Or would that make him want to play with it even more? There's gotta be some way to cover it so that he can't get his little fingers on it.

Yeah, I wish I could just find a different chest clip to put on it, but I know that wouldn't be a good idea... I don't want to buy a whole new seat either though and his mom can't swing it ATM and the MR is only like 4 months old anyway.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I know it's not ideal but he's almost 3, if you cannot get him to stop, you can turn him so you can see him. Then if it continues, use a different seat.

We talk about TP tubes under the chest clip, could you cut one to fit between the straps actually ON the chest clip? Maybe his little fingers would be too short to fit under but you could still get it undone (wrapped in duct tape first). I might try that and see, I haven't ever tried so I don't know if it would work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC