Small toddler plus new baby in VW Jetta Sportwagen

U

Unregistered

A quick question with hopefully a quick answer -

I am due 6/30 with DD (who is #2) and DS (#1) will be exactly 3 when she arrives. At almost 2.9 years old, DS is only 23# and 33 inches. He's currently RF in a Britax Advocate on the passenger outboard side of a 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen.

DH is 6' and leggy, and has the seat fairly far back to drive. We tried to install a Maxi-Cosi Mico when DS was born and there was no way for the Mico to fit in the center or the driver side outboard without making the driving situation dangerous for DH. This holds true for our Britax Advocate and Radian XTSL. Both can be installed fine on the passenger side, but interfere too much with the driver seat position.

So...#2 is heading our way and I am not ready to FF DS. Here are my options. Which is best?

1) FF DS behind the driver seat in a Radian and put DD RF in Britax. The cheapest option, but least desirable from a safety perspective, IMO.

2) RF Combi Cocorro for DD behind the driver, RF Radian or Britax (we have both) behind passenger. Would this work?

3) RF a smaller infant seat (Keyfit?) behind driver and RF Radian or Britax for DS on passenger side. And then when DD needs to move up to a different car seat, hopefully DS will be big enough to FF...?

I'm not a huge fan of infant seats and never used the Mico to transport DS out of the car (we moved up to the Britax for comfort, not because he was getting too big). I also seem to make small babies and will likely not go to my due date. What is safest?

Thanks for reading my lengthy annoying post!

ADS

Mercuria

#2 would probably work, and has my vote.

For #3, we had a KeyFit in my husband's '06 GLI (which is a Jetta body), and it wouldn't have worked behind him (he's about 6'). The Aton may have barely worked if he has his seat back upright (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151433124817454), but, if it were me, I think I'd go with the Coccoro (unless you think you're suddenly going to love toting your next baby around in a seat).

Jeni-GAcpst

Have you tried an angle adjuster with the radian?
I did a check about a month ago with a radian in the center of a jetta and dad had the driver seat all the way back.
Then you can use the Britax or the mico or anything you want on the passenger side.

U

Unregistered

Thanks!

We do use the angle adjuster with the Radian in its current location (a 99 Honda Accord) and it's good to know that it's possible in the center of the Jetta with the seat all the way back. When the weather is better, we'll try that out.

We sold the Mico - it was awful for us. As a newborn, it also pushed my son's head to his chest (!) even after a professional install, no additional things in the seat, etc. I wasn't comfortable with it and found someone who loved the seat, so it was a great match. The only seats we have are the Britax and Radian.

I don't expect to suddenly love toting my newborn around in an infant bucket outside of the car, BUT I realized that in June/July, it's going to be HOT. Is that ever a problem with a tiny baby in a convertible seat - the hot seat? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't expect to suddenly love toting my newborn around in an infant bucket outside of the car, BUT I realized that in June/July, it's going to be HOT. Is that ever a problem with a tiny baby in a convertible seat - the hot seat? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks again!

No more than an infant seat. My older was born in July in NC and went directly to a convertible. I don't think it matters (other than babywearing then. Strapping a heat pack to you in 100 degrees and 95% humidity isn't comfy).

Have you tried the Radian with angle adjuster behind the driver? You can brace on that seat, since I don't believe VW has restrictions on the driver's seat, and the Radian allows for bracing.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Yes - that is our next plan. Our urban parking situation actually makes it a total pain that the Britax is on the passenger side, so operation Make My Life Easier will include trying to install the Radian w/ angle adjuster braced against the driver seat...tonight, actually. If that works, we'll just get the Britax infant insert thing (this thing: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-USA-S844900-Infant-Positioning/dp/B00422M5JQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361381771&sr=8-4&keywords=britax+infant"]Amazon.com: Britax Infant Positioning Insert: Baby[/ame] - I assume this is a kosher after-market purchase, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and call it a day.

Thanks for your help!

laurenandalex

We have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen. And in June 2011, we had an exactly 3 yo RF and a newborn. We did the Radian with AA rear facing behind driver for the 3 yo and a Keyfit behind passenger for the baby. Then...a Classic Marathon RF behind passenger for the baby. And now, a Frontier behind driver for my now 4.5 yo and Classic marathon RF behind passenger. June babies are great; we've loved our exactly 3 year spacing; and we love our Sportwagen! Good luck!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's kosher. It's made specifically by Britax to help newborns fit in their convertibles.

Good luck with operation Make My Life Easier. I chuckled.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC