Question Side curtain airbags with Britax Frontier 85 SICT in 2004 Camry

zonka2001

Hi all, I'm new here and I haven't been able to find the answer to my question yet. I have a 2004 Toyota Camry with side curtain airbags in the backseat. My son is 4 1/2, about 41 pounds, and 42". I'd like to buy a second Britax Frontier 85 SICT (the first is in my van) for him in this Camry. Do the side curtain air bags present any issue for this model carseat or any others?

Should I just buy the regular Frontier 85 without the SICT? I don't plan on having another carseat in the middle position since we're done having kids and our other carseat won't fit there due to my husband's height. I will place this new carseat nearest the door behind the driver seat since my other child will be rear facing near the other door in a First Year's True Fit until she's about 2 1/2, due to its expiration date. At that time, she will take over the Frontier. I don't intend on putting anyone in the middle of the two carseats.

Thanks in advance.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, side curtain airbags aren't an issue.

Is your daughter yet to be born? Because the earliest True Fits won't expire until some time in 2015. So that would have her be born later this year or into next.

Wendy

zonka2001

Hi there and thank you for your quick reply! My daughter will be 10 months old and she'll be using her older brother's True Fit once I have a replacement carseat for him. She's still in his old Peg Perego Primo Viaggio that only rear faces to 22 pounds but shes almost 21 pounds now.

The TrueFit has a sticker saying not to use it after March 2015 (wow I'm impressed you knew I had one of the first ones)! He still uses it in our Camry for now and I had anticipated she'd be able to use it up to 65 pounds but it'll be more like 30 pounds now that I read the expiration date. :(

So since the side curtain airbags are not an issue, I guess I just have to find a good deal on the Britax Frontier 85 or SICT. I've been on the fence about which one to buy, but since it will be used for 2 kids, the removable cover without uninstalling the carseat is definitely a winning feature (in addition to the additional side cushions).

Do you know if the Onyx seat cover is the same material that is used in the Cardinal red color? We have the red one in our van and I really like it. I also don't mind the micro suede (like our TrueFit) so I'm also considering the Rushmore in the Frontier 85.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC