Should ALL parents get their car seats checked? *UPDATE: YES!*

ADS

thepote

That's great. It's also kind of sad that they were ~that~ impressed over a well-installed seat. I would hope they would see more of that.

When I did a seat check when I first got into CPS, I had two RF marathons and a parkway booster, which I knew were perfectly installed. The tech said she's never seen a perfect installation and was just searching for something to write me up for. Well, she ended up raising the headrest in back of the booster and writing that I had that wrong, even though the booster doesn't need head support. Her attitude was all condescending, like ha ha I found something. It was a crappy experience, and I wouldn't go back. So, that's the other side of that coin ;)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That is super uncool! I can literally count on one hand the number of correctly installed seats I see. I make sure the parents know they were correct and how unusual that is, but I don't go overboard. Incidentally, we often change something - the last one I did, we moved the infant base from outboard to center - but the fact that we made a modification does not detract from the fact that the seat was installed properly in the first place. Shame on that tech for finding a way to lower your morale instead of boost you up :(

Funny enough, the last parent I told to come take the class had misuse galore, but got SUPER into it and wanted to spread the word. I have a couple of misuse-free friends I keep trying to entice though!

scoutingbear

I had a check done by KQ before I became a tech. I got an A+. Then, when I went to take the course, they collected keys from everyone at the start of the class to set up cars, see what types of seatbelts they had to work with, etc. I tried to hang on to my keys since I had a 3 across in my car of my kid's seats and didn't really want to go messing with them.

Anyway, they still insisted that they needed my keys. At the first break, they handed them back and said that they always try to look at the cars that come in with seats in them because there is usually something to fix. Mine had nothing...and I was the only one in the class that wasn't taking it for work.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Shame on that tech for finding a way to lower your morale instead of boost you up :(

Totally this. Techs should make it a point to find things to compliment and boost morale even when the parent doesn't do hardly anything right.

kam1011

I used to get mine checked ALL THE TIME until the guy there told me "You know what you're doing. You don't have to get it checked every time you move it!"

I also went to a different lady about a new seat I was unfamiliar with and she glanced at the others in the car and said "wow, who installed these" (I did) so that helped my confidence.

I'm not a read-a-manual-and-get-it kind of person. That's why I know I could never do online classes!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Totally this. Techs should make it a point to find things to compliment and boost morale even when the parent doesn't do hardly anything right.

Even if the only "right" thing you can think of to say is "I'm so glad you came today." Effective teaching and communication is so much about the delivery and presentation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC