Several travel questions re: flying

meredith1851

We are flying for the 1st time in a few weeks to Florida with our 14 mth old and I had a few questions I was hoping all you experts could answer:

1. I will be bringing the Marathan 70 OR Roundabout 55 seat (we bouht DS a plane seat). Which one is easier to install FF and any tips/tricks for installing them FF?
2. Eventhough I bought a seat, my DS likes to be in his Bjorn. If he freaks out before the flight, am I allowed to take off or land if he is in the BJorn on me while I am sitting since he is a toddler?
3. Does the Marathan go through the XRay maching like everything else or is there a different process?
4. Am I allowed to bring his sippy cup through security with a few oz of H20 in it?
5. Am I allowed to bring a squeezable food packet or 1 jarred fruit through security?
6. Am I allowed to bring some of his puffed snacks in ziplock bags through security?

THANKS!

ADS

Pixels

We are flying for the 1st time in a few weeks to Florida with our 14 mth old and I had a few questions I was hoping all you experts could answer:

1. I will be bringing the Marathan 70 OR Roundabout 55 seat (we bouht DS a plane seat). Which one is easier to install FF and any tips/tricks for installing them FF?
I know that with the RA55 you will need to ask for a seatbelt extender. Otherwise the release lever will be in the belt path and you won't be able to get it out at your destination. The MA70 has an open belt path so it shouldn't be a problem.

Read the instructions in your manual for FFing lap belt only installation so you're prepared ahead of time. Also find the FAA approval sticker in case they ask to see it, so you know where it is.

2. Eventhough I bought a seat, my DS likes to be in his Bjorn. If he freaks out before the flight, am I allowed to take off or land if he is in the BJorn on me while I am sitting since he is a toddler?
Since he is a ticketed passenger he is required to be restrained in his seat any time the Fasten Seatbelt sign is on. They might look the other way since he is under 2 and could technically fly as a lap baby, but you absolutely cannot put him in the Bjorn. He can sit on your lap in your arms, but not attached to you in any way. In an emergency, your body would crush him. It's better for him to be thrown clear of you, where at least he has a chance.

3. Does the Marathan go through the XRay maching like everything else or is there a different process?
If it fits, it goes through, usually face down. If it doesn't fit (most likely it won't) then they hand check it.

4. Am I allowed to bring his sippy cup through security with a few oz of H20 in it?
No, but you can bring an empty sippy through and refill it on the other side.

5. Am I allowed to bring a squeezable food packet or 1 jarred fruit through security?
Up to 3 ounce containers, in a quart size zip top bag, as many containers as you can fit in a bag per person. If it's you and your son, you each could have one bag. The bag must be taken out of your carry on and placed separately in the bins through the x-ray.

6. Am I allowed to bring some of his puffed snacks in ziplock bags through security?
Dry goods are fine, they don't have to be declared or anything.

THANKS!

My answers are in between your questions.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Everything she said, except they do allow more than 3 oz of liquid/liquidy food for babies and toddlers. You just have to declare it when you go through security.

krasota

Regarding 4--there are almost always restrooms and water fountains within a short walk on the other side of security. Just refill after security.

5. There are fewer limits on babies and toddlers. You can push it a little, just have liquids/purees in a ziploc and pull it out and place it in a bin when you go through security. That said, go-go squeez applesauce is below the 100ml/3.4oz limit, as are Wholly Guacamole 100cal packs.

mrosehughes

Is there a reason you want to FF on the plane? Either of those seats should fit very easily RFing on the plane, and with a younger child I've found it easier to entertain them that way. I've used my britax blvd on many planes RFing with DS; it's pretty easy.

Jan06twinmom

I would recommend using the car seat rear-facing on the plane as well - just like your baby rides in the car. (Let us know if you need information about why your baby should be rear-facing in the car.)

We always take empty water bottles through security and fill with water from the water fountain or from a food place when we get on the other side.

Melanie

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The RA55 is the same shell as the MA70. You're thinking of the RA50 (which is like the classic MA) when you think of the closed belt path. You shouldn't need a seat belt extender w/ either the RA55 or MA70. They both have an open, easily accessible belt path (whether RF or FF).

Eclipsepearl

Even though I bought a seat, my DS likes to be in his Bjorn. If he freaks out before the flight, am I allowed to take off or land if he is in the BJorn on me while I am sitting since he is a toddler?

Wow, a 14 month old who fits in a Bjorn?!? My son was done with that by 6 months. Sooooo uncomfortable. I'm also surprised that you can sit down in it.

For take-off and landing, you can't have the baby attached to you in any way. It's dangerous for the baby. Lap babies have to be held loose in their parents' laps, to avoid being crushed in forward impact. This is a FAA regulation for lap babies.

Which brings me to... If you purchased a seat, it seems a shame to not use it and keep him safe for the most dangerous times of the flight (take-off and landing). Also, some crews will get picky with you because your car seat can't be strapped into a seat for take-off and landing because if you don't use it, it becomes a carry-on item and has to be stowed. I was breastfeeding during boarding and some F/A came up to me and read the riot act (didn't bother telling her that I was a F/A myself at the time lol!)

Long before I had kids (I had a long wait to become a mom) I used to find it odd that parents didn't want to strap their children in because "they'll cry". We're landing for goodness' sakes! Everyone's awake. You'll never see these people again, I'd joke with them on landing. Better an unhappy child who is safe than bouncing on your lap and a goner if something goes wrong!

You know what though, when I flew with my own children in purchased seats with car seats, yes they would protest. But when they did that in the car, they KNEW they weren't coming out of their car seats. They figured out the same happened on the plane. It was amusing how they'd fight putting them IN the car seat and then calmed down once they were safely strapped in. Also, opposed to lap babies whose parents had to fight to keep their child seated, I was able to strap my babies in and then turn my attention fully to calming them down. I could look them in the eye, play with a toy with them and talk to them. I didn't have to restrain them myself because the seat did that. I think that's part of the reason they calmed down so quickly. I didn't have that luxury in the car when I was driving alone with a crying baby but seated next to them on the plane, I did.

My joke, as a (childless!) Flight Attendant was "Your child's safety is more important than the other parents ear drums" lol! I just made little jokes instead of lecturing them and I think it worked!

meredith1851

LOL!!! The Bjorn we have is the Comfort Carrier. It is meant for toddlers and older babies and goes to 31 lbs. It is bigger, has more support, strapping and padding. My DS is 23 lbs and LOVES being forward facing in it...go figure!

meredith1851

Oh, I almost forgot. I did have another question. Eventhough I have him in the Britax Marathon 70 in my car, he is still riding in his Keyfit 30 Infant Carrier when in the sitters car. He is 23 lbs and 29.5 inches and has EXACTLY 1 inch to the top of the shell left which is why I got the Marathan 1 month ago for my car. So, could I technically still use the Keyfit for flying or would the FA's give me a tough time since he he is 14 months and just about outgrown that seat. He does still like being in it surprisingly which is interesting considering it is a snug fit.
Finally, what about the Safety 1st Avenue? That seems to have some protection and a bit of a taller shell then the Scenera and Titan which when I tested it he only had a few inches to the top of the shell so I figured would not last long. It is cheap too. Is that a recomended seat here for a 2ndary sitter vehicle or travel? I think it was discontinued though....did Safety 1st rename it or is the Onside Air basically what they replaced it with?

Last edited:

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The infant seat is definitely an option if your DS still fits (and will fit for the entire trip). Since it's an infant seat, you shouldn't get the "you have to turn it forward". There have been a couple people who were (mistakenly) told they couldn't use their infant seat if it couldn't go FF. In most cases, though, the infant seat is a little more convenient than the convertible for travel.

The Avenue is a great choice for travel. It's lighter than the bigger seats but will last longer than the Scenera and Titan w/o being too bulky. Plus, it has EPP foam (Scenera doesn't) and tends to install a little easier than the Scenera.

The OnSide Air is a Scenera w/ Air Protect. It is not an Avenue. I believe the EasyFit, XRS, and like seats are the new, upgraded version of the Avenue. You can still get the Avenue at Albeebaby, though, I think.

We have an Avenue that we purchased for flying since our Radian wouldn't fit RF for DS2. It is a nice light seat and we haven't had any trouble installing it on airplanes or in other cars at our destination. We're using it now as DS2's primary seat (see siggy pic) and he seems quite comfortable in it, regularly falling asleep.

meredith1851

Thanks for all the feedback. I would like to have someone review a picture of my DS in his infant car seat to see what your thoughts are but I really don't want to post it publicly. Is there a way to private msg it to someone to take a quick peak at?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC