News *sensitive content* 5 dead in crash near BC/WA state border

April

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/04/28/five-people-killed-in-surrey-car-crash

“The car is now in such disarray that it’s unrecognizable as to what brand it is. The import vehicle has come to rest in two pieces; the two pieces are 25 metres apart from each other.” :jawdrop:

This was posted on fb earlier, but I am on my way to the border (sitting in the lineup), and I just had to detour around the accident scene, and omg, it is just so unnerving. Myself and several other members here drive through that intersection and it just freaks me out that a whole car full of people were killed in an instant. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

FrauDrA

I heard about this on CBC Radio earlier. Just heartbreaking. CBC reported that a pair of sunglasses were embedded in a utility pole due to the force. Truly horrifying.

Everyday I see drivers (including transit buses) run red lights and stop signs (including a four-way stop a couple hundred metres from my youngest's preschool), and I hesitate before proceeding through intersections. On the way back from my parents' one night, we saw a red-light camera on Oak St flash; hubby and i both cheered.

It is scary.

canadiangie

The part where the police member says that there's a very real likelihood that an entire family is gone is just haunting.

Reminds me of that family last year in the US. She had posted here asking advice, and then she, her Dh, her two little boys, and unborn baby were killed in a collision on the hwy.

Life can change so fast. :(

cupcakepirate11

Tragic :( I passed a I think smart car/ mini Cooper rolled over into a ditch off the highway, it fit perfectly upside down in the gully part of the ditch, I couldn't help but think how lucky the people were to land like that and not get crushed. No idea if anyone was hurt. Was in...Virginia? Rt 75? Or 81? Can't remember.

April

Reading about the 26 year veteran officer say he was going to have to tell someone their whole family was gone made me feel sick. And I read the thing about the sunglasses as well. Awful.

I can't help but think of how that driver of the caravan is going to feel when he finds out he killed 5 people, including kids. I drive that intersection a few times a week at least. Will definitely be more careful from now on. There is a side road (40th ave) that intersects 176 street, and I frequently take it to save time because you can drive fast down there, but you have to cut across 6 lanes of traffic with no light when you hit 176th. Don't think I'll be doing that anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubbaray

Reading about the 26 year veteran officer say he was going to have to tell someone their whole family was gone made me feel sick. And I read the thing about the sunglasses as well. Awful.

I can't help but think of how that driver of the caravan is going to feel when he finds out he killed 5 people, including kids. I drive that intersection a few times a week at least. Will definitely be more careful from now on. There is a side road (40th ave) that intersects 176 street, and I frequently take it to save time because you can drive fast down there, but you have to cut across 6 lanes of traffic with no light when you hit 176th. Don't think I'll be doing that anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

I heard on Global last night that he walked away from the van, so he was conscious right after the accident. They are saying this morning that the adults were three women and the children were 3&5.

Like you, I regularly drive that route. Speeds on 176 are posted at ever 70 or 80, but people regularly go well over 100. On 32 I think it's a 60 zone, but nobody drives 60 there. Yeah, probably best to skip 40th, pretty scary crossing 176 even in daylight.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow, that is just awful and so unimaginable. Regardless of what charges might be brought against that driver, he has to live the rest of his life knowing that he killed 5 people because of his own negligence.

Such a sad situation.

FrauDrA

I seen that but wasn't sure political stuff was allowed to be posted/discussed :/

Either way running a red light has nothing to do with being a. "Perfect parent"

Sorry, I didn't think of it as particularly political, just that a high-profile person was caught doing exactly what killed five people yesterday. And she seems to be most contrite that her son was in the car at the time. IMO, safe driving is about *everyone's* child/parent/sibling/spouse.

I'm also a bit cranky about this because *again* today someone ran the four-way stop by my kid's preschool.

If this is too political, I apologise. I commented because of the juxtaposition of the horrible news out of Surrey and the willful disregard by a public figure of a simple law. Again, my apologies if I stepped over the line.

April

Wow, that is just awful and so unimaginable. Regardless of what charges might be brought against that driver, he has to live the rest of his life knowing that he killed 5 people because of his own negligence.

Such a sad situation.

Absolutely. I was saying to my DH, that one second wrong choice just ruined so many people's lives. I can't imagine how it would feel to be responsible for that.

:(
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC