Sell Me on Your Convertible!

KaliShanti

Car: 2004 Nissan Quest; will likely go in captain seat (Latch available)
Price: Not more than $250 if possible
Child: Infant boy, 5 months old, 18 pounds, 26.25 inches

I already have used a Evenflo Triumph Advanced DLX (older model) that I enjoyed, and a Radian XTSL that I only like because of the size and headwings- do NOT like the harness tightener or how hard it is to take the cover off. I have A Britax 85 SICT for my 5 yr old and I think it is the easiest carseat ever. Are all Britaxes like that?

Want: Ease of tightening, at least 40 lbs RFing limit, ease of installation. If it can recline multiple ways in FF & RF that'd be great too.

ADS

abreuer88

We have an advocate, and I love it! It's super easy to install and I have never had trouble with the harness. It tightens and comes loose so smooth! It's comfy for DS (9 mos,22ish lbs-tall and skinny) and he has lots of room to play and look around! We also have no head slump when he sleeps! I also love that it had a no retread harness!

abreuer88

abreuer88 said:
We have an advocate, and I love it! It's super easy to install and I have never had trouble with the harness. It tightens and comes loose so smooth! It's comfy for DS (9 mos,22ish lbs-tall and skinny) and he has lots of room to play and look around! We also have no head slump when he sleeps! I also love that it had a no retread harness!

Oh, and it rf to 40lbs! And ff to 65!

hrice

Britax convertibles have buttery smooth harness adjustors and are super easy to install and use. The drawback of them is that they are short so they are outgrown much quicker than other seats on the market.

BeautifulChaos

We have the Momentum65 DLX which we chose for ease of use. It RF to 40lbs and FF to 65. The shell is deep and when we bought it my then-4yo would have fit RF by height. I love the SureLatch (tightens itself when you push down), and the no rethread harness (its on a runner type thing, you just loosen it and push up/down. Requires no uninstalling at all rf or ff). It has 3 recline positions. IIRC 2 are allowable for FF. Ill have to double check. The cover comes off easily and is machine washable. The only thing I wish it had was harness strap covers.

PeachyPie

I have the Safety 1st Complete Air 65 and I LOVE this seat. I recommend it to everyone I know. Here's what I love:
-2 recline positions for RF, so once baby is over 22 lbs and can hold head up, you can move it to about 30 degrees (instead of 45) and it takes up a lot less space.
-RF to 40 lbs
-FF to 65 lbs
-COMFORTABLE!!! I also have a Evenflo Maestro and Graco Nautilus for my FFing DD. I just had to switch her out of the CA and into these seats (since my DS grew out of the bucket seat and is now RF in the CA) and she was just so much more comfy in the CA! If only it would serve as a good booster too, then I would have bought another one for her too, haha!
-Easy to install
-The air pocket head wings are great for sleeping!

I'm sure there's more. It's just an amazing seat. I had the original model when it first came out (and was only to 50 lbs) and the new one is a HUGE improvement on the first model. But I loved the original as well.

KaliShanti

Britax convertibles have buttery smooth harness adjustors and are super easy to install and use. The drawback of them is that they are short so they are outgrown much quicker than other seats on the market.

Hmm. Are all the britax convertibles like this? Which one is the "best" meaning highest height and weight limits. If my son is in the 90% for height, is this seat a bad idea?

KaliShanti

Also, does anyone know if the new Diono RadianRXT has a smoother pull strap? My XTSL makes me feel like pulling my hair out- it's so hard to tighten.

Jessica61624

KaliShanti said:
Also, does anyone know if the new Diono RadianRXT has a smoother pull strap? My XTSL makes me feel like pulling my hair out- it's so hard to tighten.

I never had issues with the xtsl harness adjuster. I always buckled the chest clip, tightened the harness and then buckled the crotch strap. My new r120 feels exactly the same.

hrice

KaliShanti said:
Hmm. Are all the britax convertibles like this? Which one is the "best" meaning highest height and weight limits. If my son is in the 90% for height, is this seat a bad idea?

If you would like this to be your last RF seat purchase I would skip the Britax Convertibles. They are among the shortest.

Kaitsmom

My daughter just outgrew her Classic Marathon at 3 1/2 by height; and it has a taller shell then the new generation ones. She was 101% for height, at her 3 yr visit. If I had to do it over again; without importing i would have gone with a Complete Air 65, or a Radian. The True Fit is very tall but only has a rfing weight limit of 35lbs; and she was 40 by 2 yrs.

Phineasmama

My son was bigger than that at FOUR months old, now he is 3 years old, 31 lbs and in the 16th percentile. He still fits RFing in a classic marathon! I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a tall kid, but it just goes to show you can't really predict their growth pattern at that age.

KaliShanti

Hmm. Ok so True Fit is out - my first son had to be FF at 2.5 because he outgrew by weight a 35lb RF seat. Second son seems to be following the same growth pattern.

If I can RF to 3 or so that is good enough for me, so I'm not thinking I had to get a RF seat for a REALLY big kid, kwim? So the Britaxs won't last that long height/weight wise?

If the Diono's haven't changed the harness adjuster, I don't want it. That thing has me wanting to get a new seat for my toddler as is but I'm too cheap to. :(

I heard the Complete Air can be finicky with installation RF.. is that correct?

The problem is that I live in a smaller town with limited seats to actually look at or try. Maybe I'll drive to the city and do it sometime. *sigh*

Phineasmama

I didn't love installing the complete air 65 honestly..maybe the premium version with the recline feature is easier idk.

How much can you spend? You might look at the Maxi Cosi Pria70 or the new Peg Perego Convertible. You can always order on Amazon, play with it and install in your car and send it back for free if you don't like it.

There's also the Foonf of course...but it's very expensive and not out until the end of June.

KaliShanti

I didn't love installing the complete air 65 honestly..maybe the premium version with the recline feature is easier idk.

How much can you spend? You might look at the Maxi Cosi Pria70 or the new Peg Perego Convertible. You can always order on Amazon, play with it and install in your car and send it back for free if you don't like it.

There's also the Foonf of course...but it's very expensive and not out until the end of June.

Will look at those.

They should have both of those seats at BuyBuyBaby if you live near one.

I don't unfortunately..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC