Secure Kid Questions/reconmendations

TLG Momma

DD is 4yrs 42lbs and about 41in. We recently got her a Secure Kid 400. Overall I like the seat, however, DD is slumping her head down(chin on chest) when she sleeps. DH thought she just has to get used to the seat and does not want me back to another car seat hunt. I don't see it getting better. Is this a problem for others with this seat? Is it unsafe or somehow bad for her to sleep in her seat in that position? It seems like it would cause pain, but I can't tell since she cries regardless when I have to remove her after falling asleep. I'm unsure what good the head wings do if she is not in them. Any seat suggestions for a sleeper preferably under $200 should I go back to the hunt?

ADS

aeormsby

It is kind of a learning thing for keeping their head back. I'm not too familiar with that seat but I don't think I've seen a lot of comments for head slump with it (I know a lot of kids have that problem with the Nautilus).

I know when we moved my DS from his FF Marathon (nice and reclined) to a FF Frontier at age 3-4 he had head slump at first when he'd fall asleep. The Frontier even has decent recline, it's just not as reclined as the MA was and it was wider. Eventually he figured out how to rest his head. And kids rarely have any stiffness issues from that, and it's not a safety issue with a harnessed seat. So try reminding her to lean her head to the side when she looks sleepy and it should get better.

TLG Momma

Any idea how long before you saw improvement? She does start off with her head on the support, but once she is completely asleep it immediately drops.

Dorothy

My DD slumps easily. It has gotten a bit better over the past year but still occurs at 5.5 yo. We just put her in a Britax Pioneer 70, and she sleeps well in it with the recline. (She got head slump when we tried it without using the recline feature.) However, our back seat is pretty upright. What vehicle do you have? I haven't tried the Harmony Defender. That might be another option. I am trying to think if there are any other options under $200. HTH :)

ETA: You might be able to find a Britax Frontier 85 under $200 also. They also have a recline feature.

TLG Momma

My DD slumps easily. It has gotten a bit better over the past year but still occurs at 5.5 yo. We just put her in a Britax Pioneer 70, and she sleeps well in it with the recline. (She got head slump when we tried it without using the recline feature.) However, our back seat is pretty upright. What vehicle do you have? I haven't tried the Harmony Defender. That might be another option. I am trying to think if there are any other options under $200. HTH
We have a 2004 F-150 supper crew, so also a very upright seat. I've looked at the Harmony before and didn't like a few things about it. I tried the Britax 85 seat in my last truck, wouldn't install tight, nice seat otherwise, might work in the new truck. Unfortunately, funds are lower than I thought. So a new seat will have to wait. But today DD did hold her head up for the first time. Legs were crossed with her arm propped on them, causing her shoulder to be higher up, so that is what her head was resting on. But still an improvement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC