Seats with 45lb RF weight limit?

U

Unregistered

Are there any seats, besides the Radian (and imports, obviously), with RF limits of 45lbs? My ILs want to buy a seat for DS for their car, and I don't want to ask them to spend $$$ for the Radian (that he won't ride in very often to begin with) if there is a less expensive option available. They want to buy him a Nautilus, but he's only 24 months and 38 lbs already (yeah, I know!) and I really want to keep him RF until he's 3.

If there is not a cheaper option available, then DH and I are prepared to pay the difference in price between the Nautilus and the Radian RXT, but I thought I'd look into other options before going that route.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian R120 also rear faces to 45 pounds and is usually cheaper than the RXT. The Peg Perego convertible rear face to 45 pounds, but it's shorter and more expensive. Then there's a Foonf, which rear faces to 50 pounds, but it has a shorter standing height limit than the Radian (but a taller shell) and is far more than the Radian.

The best bet is a good deal on an Radian, I think.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

Regarding shell heights vs. standing heights--isn't standing height more or less irrelevant? I should be mostly concerned with seated height when evaluating fit, right? At least that is what I understood. Your mention of the standing height has me second-guessing myself, though.

That Foonf sure is tempting...I'm half tempted to buy it for my own car and send the Radian off with the ILs! :p

U

Unregistered

Hmm...I just googled the Foonf and everything I found says it has a 45 lb RF limit. Is there a newer version I'm not finding?

U

Unregistered

Interesting. I see on the Clek website that the RF limit for the Foonf is 50 lbs, but their description on Amazon and other sites says 45. I wonder why that is. Obviously I believe the manufacturer's own website over retail sites, but it seems really strange to me that they would not be right on top of correcting any misinformation. Particularly given that this 5 additional pounds is a key difference that sets the seat apart and justifies the high price.

MommyShannon

The standing height vs seated height depends on the seat. Some seats like Britax have really high standing height limits that make them irrelevant. Basically every child will outgrow them due to seated height (only 1" of she'll above head) first. Some Dorel seats like the Complete Air have really tall shells, but a standing height limit of 40". Almost every child would hit the 40" and therefor outgrow it rf before they outgrow it due to seated height being too tall. The Radian (44") and Foonf (43") limits seem to be close to when most kids would outgrow it anyway, especially long torsoed kids. Kids with short torsos might hit the standing height limits first. So a child with a really long torso, might outgrow the Radian (shorter shell) by seated height but still be under 43" and able to use the Foonf. You also could have a short torsoed kid who is 43" but fits in the Radian. Really though, they are both close.

Clek CPST

Hmm...I just googled the Foonf and everything I found says it has a 45 lb RF limit. Is there a newer version I'm not finding?

The max RF weight limit on the US Foonf seats is 50lbs. The weight limit was raised prior to the release of the seat so that would be why there is conflicting information online - a lot of people had opportunity to see prototypes and a few things changed between the prototypes and the final release of the seat.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the clarifications, everyone. Looks like I have some things to consider...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC