Question Seat suggestions? Hate our current seat!

amonstersmomma

Hi! I'm new here :) LO is Caleb, just turned 2yrs old this month. We currently have a Graco MyRide and have had it since he was born. I loved this seat when he was born but now not so much.

Caleb can undo the chest clip and does so A LOT. I've tried everything (really!) and now one of us just rides back there with him. This is the #1 reason for getting a new seat, I can't get another Graco because of this.

I've also installed this seat FF (just to see, DS is not FF) and hate how reclined it is. I'd like some recline FF since he does sleep a lot in the car but just hate how this seat installs FF.

Then there's the plastic covering one of the crotch buckles that decided to fall off. Graco is replacing it but I was thinking of selling it once I get it and getting a new seat.

I'd love some suggestions for a seat that can FF and RF that has a taller shell (or adjustable) than the MyRide. I was loving the look of the size4me by Graco but I do not want Graco because of the chest clip! Oh and LO is 2yrs 28lbs 35" tall with a 12-12.5" (he wouldn't sit still so probably not exact. And we drive an 04 explorer.

Last edited:
ADS

Brianna

Some parents have had success putting the scratchy side of velcro on the tabs you have to push in to release the chest clip. This can sometimes be enough to defer little fingers from pressing down too hard. Another suggestion is to put a button up shirt over his regular shirt and button it up over the harness once he's buckled in.

I thought I didn't like the recline of the MyRide FF but with some tips I was able to get it a little more upright than I had by myself and surprisingly J had no complaints about the recline when he rides in it FF.

If you'd still like to replace the MyRide, what's your budget?

amonstersmomma

Definitely still want to replace it. Maybe I'm just being a PITA Lol. I don't want to go through that much trouble every time we get in the car. Budget:$200ish. But if there was a seat that was absolutely perfect I'd probably stretch it.

Sent using Forum Runner

gigi

Look at an Evenflo Triumph. No way he could undo that clip! I LOVE my Triumph. Great tall shell and should last your child a looong time.

Brianna

The new generation Britax convertibles (anything not branded classic at Target) will have about the same shell height as your MyRide.
The Diono R100 only has a 40 RF weight limit (compared to the 45 limit of the R120 and RXT) but since your little guy is on the lighter side it should last him quite long rear facing.
I also loved my Triumph and agree that the chest clip will be hard to undo.
The True Fit also has a tall shell but a 35 pound rear facing weight limit.

A little over your budget is the Maxi Cosi Pria that might also work well.

Dmcj13

Are you going to keep him forward facing? Statistically rear facing is safest, but if you want to keep him forward I would reccomend a Britax Frontier or an Evenflo Securekid. The Nautilus is an option as well, but has the same buckle and chest clip as the myride. Since he is only two the Frontier would be the better choice with a nine year life span verses 6.

amonstersmomma

We hope to keep him RF until at least 3 years old if not longer :) I do really like the look of the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 and Evenflo Symphony 65 e3 :D I'll go check out some Britax seats too. Keep the suggestions coming, I'll keep researching them. It will be about a week before our Graco replacement gets here then I can get the new seat.

Brianna

I think the Symphony shell is a bit shorter than the Triumph as not all headrest positions are allowed for RF. Carseatblog's recommendations are here http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/ but some of them are over your budget. Knowing how much head room he has in his MyRide will help give you an idea of how much longer he will last RF in other seats, measured like this.

You can compare shell heights here http://www.car-seat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66 but some of them can be deceiving. For example, the Evenflo convertible seats have a bowl shape to them which makes it difficult to measure. It appears the MyRide will last longer than the Triumph but J outgrew his MyRide by height 6 months before he outgrew his Triumph by height.

amonstersmomma

Thanks for those links, looking at them now!

Just eyeballing it I think he has 2inches or so left in the MyRide :confused: I'll try and add a picture here.

20120919_154715_zpsd4b9a5a9.jpg

Brianna

Once J hit that spot in his MyRide, it was about 14 months until he outgrew his Triumph. Your mileage may vary depending on your son's growth spurts. The taller the shell of the seat you buy, the longer it will last RF. I would be very surprised if he gains 7 pounds in the next year, so even a 35 pound RF limit seat should last him until 3.

amonstersmomma

Thanks for all the suggestions I think we're going with the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 :) I'm hoping to find it in a store to try out first but we'll see

Sent using Forum Runner

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC