Seat Suggestions for Growing up kids (not babies)

baby hungry

My oldest (8) years old is riding in a Britax Frontier. My youngest (4) is riding in a Britax Advocate. She is currently on the very last height adjustment in the advocate.

Any suggestions on what I should do in the next to keep my babies as safe as possible? Should I move the oldest to something like an incognito, and give the youngest the Frontier? Or buy another high back booster for the 4 year old?

Last edited:
ADS

Dillipop

At age 8, a booster is a very safe choice. I would move your younger child into the frontier and move your 8 year old into either a highback booster or a backless booster. Either one will provide excellent safety for a child of that age.

We really like our recaro pro booster, which is a highback only. It has been discontinued but the new version is called the performance booster. It latches onto the seat and then you use the seatbelt over it.

We also really like our sunshine kids monterey, which has also been discontinued. However, Diono (the new name of the company) makes a booster called the Cambria, which looks really nice. It is a highback booster but also converts into a backless. My son used the back of ours until he was 10ish and now uses it backless at 11.5. It also latches in.

Other highback boosters that are usually recommended are the Parkway SG and SGL, the Graco Turbobooster and Affix, the new Chicco booster, and there are bunches of others. These all become backless, I believe.

Backless boosters that my kids have really liked are the Clek Olli, Graco turbo booster, and cosco topside.

Dillipop

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Is a backless or back booster better than the other for a child her age?

It depends on the child. I assume she is still harnessed in the frontier? Going straight to a backless may be quite a step for her, as she'll no longer have a harness or a back keeping her in. Or she might do just fine. Does she sleep in the car a lot? If so, a highback will give her support for sleeping, whereas a backless has none.

My 8 year old currently rides in backless boosters mostly. Though I am considering putting in a highback right now as he is aggravating me by leaning away from the belt sometimes. On long trips, I put in the highback booster in case he wants to sleep and so he doesn't have to remember too hard to stay in position. He went from a harness at age 6.5 to a highback until 8 and he'll turn 9 this summer and has been mainly backless since this past summer when he turned 8.

My older son went from a harness at 6 or 7 to a highback until 10ish and has been in a backless for the past year and a half. He never fought the highback and did use a backless in secondary vehicles starting around age 7. He'll likely 5 step in vehicles by this summer and be able to sit without a booster, though I'm not sure I am ready for that step!!!

baby hungry

Thanks. She is very big for her age. Looks more like a 10 year old. She has been in the booster mode of the frontier since about 6 1/2. I guess at this point, I'll talk to her and see what she wants to do. She might like the head support still for from her booster. Although, she constantly tells me she wants to not have to ride in a car seat anymore like all of her friends. That isn't an option. Even big, the seat belt doesn't fit her properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC