seat recommendation

chay

I haven't been shopping for a while so I wanted to confirm before I pass on some recommendations to a friend.

Kid is just over 3, ~41lbs and tall (sorry don't have specific height but dad is ~6'4" and mom is tall as well). He's currently FF in a AOE which I think only harnesses to 40lbs and they need a new seat like yesterday. There is a younger sibling that will move out of the bucket into the AOE.

Recommendations
- Frontier
- Nautilus

Other things that might work
- True Fit
- Radians - probably too pricey for no real benefit since they won't be RF but will mention because they might want to do a 3 across their car eventually (I'll also try the re-RF angle)

The TRU website is saying CA go to 65lbs - is that right? If so I'll add that to the list.

What else am I missing? Any other cheap options out there? I'm skipping the Maestro since it doesn't go to 65lbs. It will be mostly installed in a F150 crew cab (~2009) if that changes things. They also have a car but I don't think they have seats in it so I never see it.

ADS

smackeen

Is there any reason to be looking at the convertible seats? Would this seat be passed down to another child?

The new complete airs do harness to 65lbs and is a pretty slim seat.

There is also the secure kid 400 that is based off the maestro that harnesses to 65lbs and is an adjustable booster.

$199 at TRU.

Use code CARSEAT15 at TRU and take $15 off certain seats. (not sure which ones)

Then I would look at the nautilus as it would then convert to high back booster and no back booster.

The frontier would be great for the taller torsoed child. It has the highest harness slots on the market at 20".

Is there other children riding in seats that you would need to worry about the 3 across factor?

chay

Thanks for the input.

They have two and are planning a few more kids so a convertible might not be a complete waste and I'm not sure what their budget is (although I see the Nauti is at Walmart for $220 so the convertible options aren't really a deal after all).

The potential for 3 across will depend on how many more they are planning and if/when they have to switch from the truck (that thing is WIDE so 3 across it isn't an issue if they stop at 3). If they have more then I would guess they'll go for something big and 4WD (they farm) rather than a mini van so 3 across might not be on their radar even if they have 6 kids. Just trying to think of all of the options and pros/cons and then they can figure out what makes sense for them.

So I think I have my top recommendations -
Frontier $300 THS 20"
Nautilus $220 THS 18.25"
Secure Kid 400 $200 THS 18"???? Is this similar to the Maestro in that the booster is outgrown shortly after the harness? In that case I'd say spend the extra $20 and get the Nauti.

Might consider -
Complete Air $170-$200 THS 18.5"
Radian if they are planning on 6 kids tight together and going the minivan route.

Thanks for the TRU tip, I'll pass that along.

smackeen

Thanks for the input.

So I think I have my top recommendations -
Frontier $300 THS 20"
Nautilus $220 THS 18.25"
Secure Kid 400 $200 THS 18"???? Is this similar to the Maestro in that the booster is outgrown shortly after the harness? In that case I'd say spend the extra $20 and get the Nauti.

Thanks for the TRU tip, I'll pass that along.

The headrest adjusts on the secure kid. But definitely a better deal!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC