seat for preemie

sparkyd

Can anybody tell me if this seat http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=4005369 is the same as this seat http://carseatblog.com/?p=6101, just with a different rear-facing limit? And does anyone know if they really do fit itty bitty preemies well?

I'm looking for options for a 4 lb preemie; they have a SafeSeat but we're assuming the little guy won't fit in there. I'm going to suggest the Keyfit and this seat if it is a good option. They're the same price though, so I'm thinking the Keyfit is the way to go since I don't remember anyone ever saying it wasn't a good fit for a little babe.

Is there anything less expensive they could get to use until he fits in the SafeSeat?

ADS

canadiangie

I think most of us are still learning about these new Dorel infant seats, but I will say that to my limited knowledge they (in your links) are the "same" seat. The primary difference amongst the two (?) OnBoard Air models is that one lacks a seatbelt lock-off on the base. I was at BRU the other day and with the 38 seconds I had to peek I did notice a seatbelt lock-off on the base of the floor model. So if it's fair to put a few puzzle pieces together here, and assuming (I admit to just assuming) that the CAD version also allows for use at 4 pounds (Sears says it does, so I assume the one at BRU also does) then this is for all intents and purposes the "same" or at the very least the CAD version of the "same" seat listed on the blog. Again, from the few seconds I has with the seat it seemed like it would fit a tiny baby well. Certainly that's the feedback we're getting from techs in the US.

So this versus a KeyFit? Not sure I have an opinion. As long as it fits the baby well and they use it correctly I'm pretty content with either one. I do think the OBA (yes, I just made that acronym up) will last longer in terms of shell height when compared to the KF. People in the US are comparing the shell height to that of the SR32 and it's cousins.

In terms of which is easier to use (= higher chance of using it correctly, for the most part) I have no idea. The KF tends to be pretty easy to work with and tends to fit in just about any vehicle.

HTH's

Jennifer mom to my 7

Actually, there is no difference in the onboard AIR models. There is a difference in the regular onboard 35 models. There are a few less expensive ones that start at 5 pounds, that do not have the deluxe reclining base or the lockoff. I believe all the 4 pound models have the reclining base and lockoff. And the air is a different animal, will all the bells and whistles.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Board-Infant-Silverleaf/dp/B002TZA536"]Amazon.com: Safety 1st Air Protect On Board 35 Infant Car Seat: Baby[/ame]

Here is the silverleaf pattern on Amazon, US. Looks the same to me, except you guys up north only get a 22 pound limit:confused:

Edited: Just figured out Angie's confusing statement. It seems Canada is calling it the air protect 35 air, etc, as amazon is, but safety first calls it the onboard 35 AIR.

Tried to get the Canada site but can't seem to navigate to it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yes, this seat will fit a preemie very well. It has all the same features as the Sure Fit - adjustable crotch strap allowing it to be significantly shortened, low bottom harness height, and extra padding that will support a small baby well.

My experience with the Sure Fit is that it's an easy to install seat, compatible with any vehicle I've had it in so far, and not too heavy from a carrier weight standpoint.

The Onboard Air is basically the Sure Fit with air protect technology instead of EPS foam. I'm not sure if the shell is taller or not - I know the Sure Fit has a tall shell and it's deeper giving more leg room as well.

So the short answer is yes, it's the same seat as seen on carseatblog - just CDN seat has different weight limit, and yes, it will fit a preemie well. I would have no concerns about compatibility issues. :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

The britax chaperone is for 4lbs. I know someone who brought home a 4lb-er in it (born at 2lbs)

sparkyd

The Onboard Air is basically the Sure Fit with air protect technology instead of EPS foam. I'm not sure if the shell is taller or not - I know the Sure Fit has a tall shell and it's deeper giving more leg room as well.

Is the Sure Fit still available or has it been replaced with the Onboard Air? It's frustrating that they'll have to pay $230 for a new seat when they have a perfectly good one (for a slightly bigger baby) already. Wishing they would make all the manufacturers make infant seats that would fit little babies... among other car seat wishes. ;)

sparkyd

Well after all that they brought their SafeSeat into the hospital today and it seems the little guy has a long torso because he fit in the seat. I asked where the harness straps were and if they put a "horseshoe" receiving blanket in the crotch etc. and it seems the nurse was a CRST and did all that and gave them the thumbs up.

Thank you all for your help - as always! :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC