Seat belts auto/emergency?

mamato2

Is there a date after which cars were made with automatically retracting belts (I think that's the name for the kind you pull out and they ratchet back)?
My dad has a '96 jeep that he thought did but he went out and checked for me (we will be using the jeep to ride in to my parents from the airport and I need to install a Scenera) and said they didn't. I will bring a locking clip and hope the seat goes in well. All other trips we've used their Passat Wagon, but can't this time. If anyone needs the kind of jeep I could find out.
Thanks,
C.

ADS

scatterbunny

Even now some seatbelts don't lock at the retractor. Seatbelts were mandated to be locking in some fashion for carseats in 1996, but manufacturers have a choice of making them locking at the retractor or at the latchplate. The 96 Jeep should have locking latchplates, either heavy duty or lightweight. The lap portion of the seatbelt will hold the carseat tight; the shoulder portion will remain slack until a sudden stop or crash. If he has lightweight locking latchplates there is a small chance it can loosen over time. If that seems to happen the fix is very simple: flip the latchplate once (a half-twist) before buckling. It will position the latchplate in such a way to hold tight.

This page on seatbelt types is great: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

mamato2

Thanks :). I know I've read many posts about seat belts but never paid enuff attention since I've not run into any other than the ratcheting kind! (Lucky me I guess)
I will look at the belt info (again) but this time will pay more attention.
This will be for a 40 min ride only that we will make twice. I assume it shouldn't loosen so quickly that it would be a problem.)?)
Is using a locking clip ok (as a make me feel better, just in case, kinda thing) or is it a 'no no'?
C.

scatterbunny

A locking clip is technically acceptable, but it's one more part of the install to mess up, so we try to avoid them when they aren't truly necessary. They are technically a pre-crash positioner, only there to hold the belt tight until the retractor locks (meant for free-sliding latchplates, the kind of belt that truly does not lock until a sudden stop or crash). They may fly right off the belt in a crash.

Try to install the "normal" way first, without a locking clip, without flipping the latchplate. See if it loosens. If not, you're good to go. If it does, try flipping the latchplate once. That should do the trick. If for some reason it doesn't, THEN resort to a locking clip.

One last thing--if the latchplate is up in the carseat belt path due to a long female buckle stalk, you can twist the female buckle stalk down to a shorter length. That will bring the latchplate lower and out of the belt path. Don't twist more than three full twists, though. That's the maximum allowed because each twist reduces the overall strength of the seatbelt (which is incredibly strong, don't worry about it not holding up with a twist or two ;) ).

mamato2

Thanks again Jenny for your quick reply! If figured as much about the locking plate. I have had to twist the belt stalk in a friends jeep. It is a hassle and 'just' works out with 3 full twists! That's another reason I'm a bit concerned about using this vehicle. We do have a back up that might help(?) if the buckle is in a 'bad' position :). Since this is our Scenera and dd still isn't 35 lbs we could rf if that will get a better install. I REALLY don't like messing with car seats in the airport parking lot but luckily my dad is real understanding and patient and will do what it takes to get the seat in safely. Poor guy, it's all kinda mind boggling since my brothers and I had those hang over the seat kind of seats and then I guess went beltless for years until they were in back seats!
I will send him the link so he can read up on seat belt types too!
C.

skaterbabs

Your dad's Jeep has locking latchplates. If you find they slip, just flip the buckle 180* and buckle it. Jeeps also tend to have long belt stalks, so you may need to twist the female belt stalk (no more than 3 full twists).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Flip the latchplate, that's the metal 'male' side on the seatbelt, one half twist. You probably don't need to flip the buckle, or female end at all, except to maybe make it mate up with the flipped male side.

scatterbunny

No, not always. I've flipped the latchplate a half-twist and buckled without issue many times. But occasionally the female buckle end is designed to only accept the male end a certain way, and if that happens, you'll know it. It won't fit. You'll have to twist the female end once if that happens.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC