Searching for the right seat

SarahJ921

I'm currently looking for a convertible car seat for my one year old son. He weighs about 24/25 pounds and is about 28 inches tall. I drive a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. I have a 6 year old son who is 65 pounds and is in a booster currently. I think I have my choices of seats narrowed down to the following 4 seats and would like feed back on my choices of seats. They are the Britax Advocate 70 G3, the Recaro ProRide, Chicco NextFit and the Diono Radian RXT.

ADS

CMeMeC

SarahJ921 said:
I'm currently looking for a convertible car seat for my one year old son. He weighs about 24/25 pounds and is about 28 inches tall. I drive a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. I have a 6 year old son who is 65 pounds and is in a booster currently. I think I have my choices of seats narrowed down to the following 4 seats and would like feed back on my choices of seats. They are the Britax Advocate 70 G3, the Recaro ProRide, Chicco NextFit and the Diono Radian RXT.

My 2 year old is about the same size and I drive an Envoy, which is gmc's version of a trailblazer. He rides in a true fit behind the drivers seat. While it wasn't on your list, it might be worth considering. He fits really well in it and it fits great in my car. Although the weight limit is lower, the shell is nice and tall and it may take him a long time yet to reach 35lbs. We also have a radian. While I like it, it just doesn't seem to install as well as the true fit in my car.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello, and welcome to car-seat.org!

Does your baby seem to have a long torso, long legs, or is he fairly evenly balanced (one way to tell is to look at clothing sizes; if his shirt size is larger than this pants size, he has a long torso.)?

If he has long legs, or even average legs, I wouldn't recommend either the Britax seats (any of them) or the Recaro seats. Both set of seats have VERY little leg room. :thumbsdown:

The Radian and the NextFit are both great possibilities, though!

nataliem257

Another one to look at would be the peg I think, its pricey but not too much more than the nextfit or the rxt. It seems to be loved by all that own it, fairly easy to install, and since your baby isn't overly tall but on the heavier side, you might appreciate the 45 lb weight limit, and the shell of the RXT might be overkill. Of the ones your mentioned, for a 25 lb 1 year old, I would get the RXT. I would be worried you would need those extra 5 lbs :)

SarahJ921

I'd say he's pretty evenly balanced. He wears either a 9 or 12 month onesie and needs a 12 month in pants for the length.

The Radian has been my first choice but I read some reviews that the harness can be difficult to tighten. I'm curious if anyone has run across this issue. I think right now I have it narrowed down to the Radian and the NextFit.

I will say trying to make this decision is giving me a headache. I want to get the right seat that will last us the longest. With my oldest we made the mistake of not doing a lot of research and had to buy another car seat by the time he turned 2 and I don't want to do that again.

Hello, and welcome to car-seat.org!

Does your baby seem to have a long torso, long legs, or is he fairly evenly balanced (one way to tell is to look at clothing sizes; if his shirt size is larger than this pants size, he has a long torso.)?

If he has long legs, or even average legs, I wouldn't recommend either the Britax seats (any of them) or the Recaro seats. Both set of seats have VERY little leg room. :thumbsdown:

The Radian and the NextFit are both great possibilities, though!

CMeMeC

The Radian has been my first choice but I read some reviews that the harness can be difficult to tighten. I'm curious if anyone has run across this issue. I think right now I have it narrowed down to the Radian and the NextFit.

It has a ratchet type rather than a smooth pull. I don't think it's difficult, just different. I pull it from the back first to get it where I want it and then pull the "tail" to remove the slack.

SarahJ921

Thank you!

It has a ratchet type rather than a smooth pull. I don't think it's difficult, just different. I pull it from the back first to get it where I want it and then pull the "tail" to remove the slack.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I haven't had problems tightening the Radian, especially when it is in rear-facing mode. :) Even in forward-facing mode, I am just careful to not loosen the harness very much, so it doesn't require much tightening.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC