Safe mid size SUV (w/folding 3rd row)?

mamaofthree

The new Chevy verison will be available with a 2nd row bench just like it's cousin models. The 3rd row is a full 3 passenger 3rd row but no headrest in the center position. The l/s belt comes from the ceiling like in the Pilot/Highlanders. This way it's up and out of the way when the 3rd row needs to be folded down.

Thanks for that info!! Now I can keep that one on my list. I missed it when I first checked out their website cause all the photos show the captain's chairs.

I was looking at Fords too, only cause I had a connection and thought I could get one for cheap. Now my connection got a new job.

Kimberly

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, I just read the child restraint section in the 2009 Honda Pilot manual.

For LATCH:
Your vehicle is equipped with LATCH (lower anchors and tethers for children) at each of the second row seats and the passenger’s side third row seat.

So, BOTH lower anchors and tether anchors are supplied for THREE seating positions in the 2nd row and for the passenger side 3rd row seat. :thumbsup:

Then, the 3rd row also has tether anchors only for the other 2 seats in the 3rd row. And they are located at the back of the seats so you don't have to have a tether strap running through your cargo area. :thumbsup:

Wow, the '09 Pilot is looking GREAT!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Okay, I just read the child restraint section in the 2009 Honda Pilot manual.

For LATCH:

So, BOTH lower anchors and tether anchors are supplied for THREE seating positions in the 2nd row and for the passenger side 3rd row seat. :thumbsup:

Then, the 3rd row also has tether anchors only for the other 2 seats in the 3rd row. And they are located at the back of the seats so you don't have to have a tether strap running through your cargo area. :thumbsup:

But, Can all 3 be used at the same time? If I remember correctly the CR-V has LATCH in all 3 positions but can't be used all at the same time.

I can't wait for someone to report back what they find out. Even though I won't be getting one.

mamaofthree

They aren't always on the backs of the seats in all vehicles? I can't imagine why not. I love that about my van. Are the Pilots on lots yet? I want to go test drive one.

Kimberly

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
But, Can all 3 be used at the same time? If I remember correctly the CR-V has LATCH in all 3 positions but can't be used all at the same time.

I can't wait for someone to report back what they find out. Even though I won't be getting one.
Yes, you can use all 3 at the same time in the 2nd row. See the quote below, copied and pasted from the manual.
When you install a child seat in the second row seating position, use the lower anchors as shown in the illustration.You can install up to three child seats at a time with LATCH.

Do not attach two child seat connectors to a single lower anchor at a time.

The reason you cannot install 3 LATCHed seat at the same time, in the CR-V, is because there are only 5 anchor point. One of the outboard ones, doubles as a centre anchor. You would have to share an anchor to have 3 installed, and sharing is not allowed in the CR-V (not sure if any manufacturer allows sharing).

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Yes, you can use all 3 at the same time in the 2nd row. See the quote below, copied and pasted from the manual.

The reason you cannot install 3 LATCHed seat at the same time, in the CR-V, is because there are only 5 anchor point. One of the outboard ones, doubles as a centre anchor. You would have to share an anchor to have 3 installed, and sharing is not allowed in the CR-V (not sure if any manufacturer allows sharing).

Well that is cool that they have put LATCH in all postions that can be used all at one time.

I couldn't remember if the CR-V had 5 or 6 actual hooks. I know many have 6 but they do the cross over so even though there are 6 hooks all 3 LATCH positions can't be used at once.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I couldn't remember if the CR-V had 5 or 6 actual hooks. I know many have 6 but they do the cross over so even though there are 6 hooks all 3 LATCH positions can't be used at once.
The visual in the manual shows 5, but I haven't sat in a newer CR-V (I was looking at an '08 manual), so I am assuming the manual is correct. :)

mamaofthree

And what's the scoop with the Ford Escape hybrid? 34 mpg, and a reasonable MSRP. Why aren't we all driving this? I never even heard of it. I'm gonna be on the lookout for them when I'm on the road.

Kimberly

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
And what's the scoop with the Ford Escape hybrid? 34 mpg, and a reasonable MSRP. Why aren't we all driving this? I never even heard of it. I'm gonna be on the lookout for them when I'm on the road.

Kimberly
They came out in '05. They look exactly the same as a regular Ford Escape which there are a LOT of on the road, which is why you might not have noticed them. Of course they have some hybrid badging, but other than that, the look is exactly the same as the regular Escape.

The reason not everyone is driving one? For us, it was because it doesn't tow enough. The V6 Escape tows 3500# properly equipped whereas the hybrid can only tow 1000 #. So, we ended up having to go with the regular gas version. :(

jewlsvern

I just went out to my CX-9 and got the manual. It says that car seats can be used in the 3rd row, but there are no LATCH anchors or tethers. It can be used with a seat belt install or on a seat that does not need a tether. So a RF seat can be used, a FF seat without a tether (I don't know if they even have those), or a booster seat.

My nephew rides in a high back booster in our 3rd row. I sat back there with him over the weekend and had plenty of space. In fact it was quite comfortable.

I personally love the CX-9. It was rated SUV/Truck of the year for 2008. It is a very fun car to drive and gets great gas mileage for an SUV. It is very reasonably priced for a 7 passenger SUV. It has a lot of features of the more expensive SUV's. The top one can have GPS, backup camera, and DVD player to name a few.

We have a 2008 CX-9. I can have my husband check to see if the 2009's will have tethers in the 3rd row. He works for Mazda.

Last edited:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I just went out to my CX-9 and got the manual. It says that car seats can be used in the 3rd row, but there are no LATCH anchors or tethers. It can be used with a seat belt install or on a seat that does not need a tether. So a RF seat can be used, a FF seat without a tether (I don't know if they even have those), or a booster seat.

My nephew rides in a high back booster in our 3rd row. I sat back there with him over the weekend and had plenty of space. In fact it was quite comfortable.

I personally love the CX-9. It was rated SUV/Truck of the year for 2008. It is a very fun car to drive and gets great gas mileage for an SUV. It is very reasonably priced for a 7 passenger SUV. It has a lot of features of the more expensive SUV's. The top one can have GPS, backup camera, and DVD player to name a few.

We have a 2008 CX-9. I can have my husband check to see if the 2009's will have tethers in the 3rd row. He works for Mazda.

Oh that is great to hear that you can install CSR on the 3rd row. Like I said for me it's more about needing to be able to use a booster on the 3rd row.

I really like the look of the CX-9 (sporty looking & looks smaller the other cross-overs). It is on my short list even though dh doesn't really like the look but I will be the one driving it and not him. LOL!!!

mamaofthree

Is the CX-9 gonna make a hybrid? I need to know more info about the hybrid battery things. If they cost thousands of dollars to replace that is a serious turn off. Someone mentioned it here or another thread, and I came across it in my googling frenzy. I haven't researched it well yet. Does anyone know? Do the manufacturers disclose it when you buy a hybrid?

Kimberly

jewlsvern

Mazda will probably not make a hybrid. They do not see them as cost efficient. They do not really get that much better gas mileage. The only reason they have the tribute hybrid is because of the ford escape.

jdchic3

I am glad to hear that about the CX-9! I REALLY want one! Is the gauge console as cool looking as the pic online? I too would be REALLY excited to hear about the 2009 model!

mamaofthree

They came out in '05. They look exactly the same as a regular Ford Escape which there are a LOT of on the road, which is why you might not have noticed them. Of course they have some hybrid badging, but other than that, the look is exactly the same as the regular Escape.

The reason not everyone is driving one? For us, it was because it doesn't tow enough. The V6 Escape tows 3500# properly equipped whereas the hybrid can only tow 1000 #. So, we ended up having to go with the regular gas version. :(

I talked to my uncle, who used to sell Fords. He said the Escape hybrid is good, very popular but hard to get. Not too many made so you pay sticker price. I really don't see why there aren't more hybrids like this. 34 mpg, thats awesome!! That's a big towing diff though, so I see why some people can't get the hybrid, but do most people that drive SUV's really tow things? I know I don't/wouldn't.

Kimberly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC