RSTV in front seat

U

Unregistered

We are a family of 4, expecting surprise twins I'm August. I drive a jeep Cherokee, Dh drives a Dodge Ram quad cab. Obviously neither vehicle fits all kids in the rear seats. We are getting a large RSTF for our 55lb 7yo (8 in Oct) and planning to put him in the front middle seat in the truck with the RSTV (ride safer travel vest) and EATAL (energy absorbing tether anchor loop) since there is no tether anchor for that seat and it has a lap belt only. Is this safe?

Could I use the RSTV to put him in the front seat of my Cherokee when it's just me and the kids? We aren't able to purchase a larger vehicle for a year or so and hoping we don't have to drive 2 cars everywhere.

We are in TX if that info is relevant.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi, there! I'm not super-familiar with the RSTV, so hopefully someone else with more knowledge will be along to answer soon.

Does that front center seating position have a headrest? Your child will need head support up to the top of his ears. If there's no headrest, you might be better off with a regular harnessed seat. You wouldn't be able to tether it, though, since I'm not aware of other manufacturers allowing that tether anchor loop.

As far as I know, it would be legal to have him in the front seat of the other vehicle as long as you're able to use the vest according to manufacturer instructions. Hopefully someone better versed in Texas law can answer that one, but usually the front seat is okay, especially if the back seat is already in use.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, in TX that is legal. And I think it's a good choice for the situation you describe- keeps him farther back in the vehicle.

Make sure he has support to the tips of his ears from the vehicle seat behind him.

U

Unregistered

OP here. Yes front seat of Dodge Ram has no headrest but it's high enough to give him plenty of growing room til his ears are higher than the back. He will likely outgrow the RSTV before he grows too tall.

The front seat in the Dodge Ram isn't a locking seat. It's a fold down console type. Is this an issue?

And how about front seat in Cherokee which has an airbag (but he should be sitting far enough back)?
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If someone has to sit in the airbag spot that's not a bad choice IMO.

As far as the locking seat issue I think you would need to contact SafeTrafficSystem for an answer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC