RN rf boot

atthehip

Hello,
I am posting this on a separate thread as I was attempting to install my RN rfing just to have an idea if it will fit in our van before buying a new seat (96 villager/quest).

I cannot for the life of me get the recline boot to slide down into place so that I can secure it, and the problem seems to be the bar on the recline mechanism. I use the bar to get rid of the recline from it ff, make sure it is clicked down into place, but the hook for the rf boot won't fit over it. Is this a common problem? My RN is a 2008 and I have never used the boot before since we have only used it ff. I might be able to have dh force it into place but I was worried we might not be able to get it back off, or even worse, break it. So I thought I would come here and ask since nothing obvious came up on a search.

Also is there a definitive answer as to what type of bracing is allowed with the RN rfing? Can it actually be against the seat or just touching? Thanks.

The last question I have is just whether or not the RN lasts longer in height than the MA for rfing? The thread with the measurements is no longer available that I could find.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Definitely lasts longer than the marathon. Shell and harness height are both higher on the radian.

As for the base question, I had a bit of a hard time following your description, but make sure that the recline adjustment is set do that the bottom of the seat is completely flat. Then the base should slide in easily. Force shouldn't be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

atthehip

Yes it is completely flat and the bar is all the way back where it should be. There's no way it would slide in easily. What should I do?

tiggercat

Is the bottom of the recline foot warped? I noticed that after I had mine installed FF for my daughter, the bottom of the recline foot bowed out a little bit, and it was difficult to get the foot up and the bar back in place. Perhaps you could post a photo for us?
Also, SSK/Diono allows bracing, but you need to ensure your vehicle doesn't prohibit it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

atthehip

Hmm I suppose it is possible that it is warped although not sure why that would be. It has only been installed reclined, ff and not stored anywhere ever. The bar is definitely back in the right place so it would have to be the bottom plastic of the recline foot that is warped. The hook just can't quite reach to go over the bar, so the rest of the seat cannot slide down to attach.

If it is warped, is this a known problem and is there any remedy? Does it affect the integrity of the seat or am I just stuck without a rfing option?

I can't get a picture at the moment because I just installed all the seats back in the van after pulling them all out, so it would have to be another day...I just don't have it in me right now, lol!

So my son would be able to RF longer in the RN than the MA then? I don't think there is anything in our manual about bracing but I will check. I suppose what I meant was can the seat be actually leaning against it or is it supposed to just be touching? What exactly is the definition of bracing? Can it push the top of the seat slightly less reclined so long as it is secure and tight, or must it not move at all if you pull the seat forward?

tiggercat

I believe I was able to push up gently on the plastic of the recline foot and then slide the RF boot on it. Once I put the boot on, I don't remember having trouble with it again. It would be worth a call to the manufacturer, I think.
Re: bracing. There are two sides to the story: your vehicle and you carseat.
The Radian can be forcefully braced and pushed more upright as long as the bottom of the carseat is still in full contact with the vehicle seat.
Your vehicle may prohibit bracing of various degrees: touching, pressing, forcefully pushing depending on whether or not there are advanced airbags or other restrictions. You will need to check your owner's manual for direction here.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

atthehip

okay, thanks! I will give it another try and contact sk/diono if it won't work.

as for my vehicle, I will read through it again bit almost positive that it has nothing about bracing. No advanced airbags..it is a 96.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC