Question RFing crash statistics

smiley

I've seen the stat that infamts are 5x safer and kids to 2 yo are 75% safer RFing. Are there any stats on RFing crash to a higher age like 3 yo??

Also is there any data on seat position? ? I can see where center is best but that's not always a choice with multiple children.

Trying to balance safety & convenience.

I need to either put my 3 yo (33 lbs 36in) Ff outboard captain chair in a Frontier 85 prob or perhaps her Blvd 70 seat can fit RF 3rd row outboard. Those are my only 2 options.

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Center is statistically safer, but with multiple children and trying to fit seats into a car, any child riding in an appropriately installed seat is going to be safe. Beyond center being statistically safer, there hasn't been a consistent answer as to whether the driver's side or passenger's side is safer, so I think the focus on properly installed seats is important.

If I had a carseat that I could RF a 3 year old in, I would. I think what we know of crash dynamics and anatomy of 3 year olds, I do think there is a benefit to keeping a 3 year old rear-facing. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends that children riding rear-facing in their seats "as long as possible" if they fit up to 4 years old: http://www.safercar.gov/parents/RightSeat.htm

This thread looks has some of the info about the crash test dummy studies with the 3 year old dummies: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=240428 and investigates why there are recommendations to rear-face until 4, even though there is a research study that focuses just on under 2 year olds.

MommyShannon

Why can't the 3 year old rf in the captain's chair? You can install the Britax seats fairly upright to take up less front to back space. I do have a rf seat in my 3rd row and just load through the back normally. What vehicle, seats, and kids are you trying to fit?

smiley

Already have an infant in the other captain chair and other kids can enter/exit vehicle without crawling and knocking tether. Infant seat is harder to pass under with length and that the seat isn't up on a recline angle like a convertible rf.

MommyShannon

I'd just move the 3 year old rf in the 3rd row then put an older child in the captain's chair for easy entrance. I actually have my 14 month old in the back and 3 year old in the captain's chair. The 3 year old could climb in from the front and you could buckle through the back. It's worked well for us to keep both littles rf longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC